Sign in to follow this  
arno

About MakeMdl and Gmax

Well, i've a problem.When i finished my work (a terminal), i do, File-export-terminal1.bglbut, said this: MAKEMDL WAS NOT FOUND, OR FAILED TO CONVERT THE MODEL SPECIFIED IN D:XXXXXXXXX TO A .MDL FILE, CHEK YOUR SYSTEM PATH TO ENSURE MAKEMDL IS ON IT.so, wich's the correct directory for MakeMdl??.Thnx

LOVEHUNGRUMAN,Do you have a file called makemdl.exe located in your Gmaxplugins directory. If not this is the problem. I suspect you do have the file present but have not created the objects to be exported correctly, and that the message is telling you that makemdl cannot convert the Gmax source file into a asm file.To start with. Do make sure you have set Gmax CUSTOM/Units to:metric. And DO make sure you have set Gmax CUSTOM/Grid Size to:1 meter per grid, all viewports. Often people just start making objects with no understanding of what makemdl will be capable of converting. And one of the main offenders appear to be how the unit/grid size scaling is set up.Always design with the above settings and it will decrease your probability of having error messages.Just so that you know. When you are asking makemdl to convert source code that represents a airplane, you ask the program to use aircraft which will make a "mdl" model file. When you are asking it to convert Scenery type objects, you ask it to use scenery, that will convert the source to a bgl type file.Lastly, the makemdl error messages are a bit cryptic, that is makemdl does not give one a accurate description of what is wrong in some cases, therefore you see the above error. However, makemdl will create an error file that can be viewed,if you check on the save/display error file check boxes in the makemdl window under the menu called custom, you then can use a word processor/editor such as wordpad or notepad....whatever, to examine the contents of the error log file. This should be standard procedure while using makemdl.exe.Hope the above is not confusing. If you are new to Gmax, you should go through the tutorials in order to learn a lot of basic operations and how to use modifiers etc., early in the game. You must be patient, for Gmax is a complicated application that requires a lot to be known in order to create designs. But once mastered provides one with an very good method to create aircraft and scenery.hang in there,George B.

And also make sure you have set the dot as decimal character in windows and not the comma, otherwise GMax can't export.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog