Sign in to follow this  
arno

What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to make my own textures to use in Airport 2.60. I got some pretty high res jpegs of asphalt that I am trying to convert to use in FS. First, I convert the jpegs to 24-bit bmps (256 x 256). Then I load those Normal files into DXTbmp. I convert them to an extended format (I have tried both DXT1 and the 565 one.) Then I put those files into the FS2k2 texture folder. In Airport, I select the taxiway I made previously and change the texture file to my newly created Asphalt texture. The texture shows up in the preview window so its seems OK. Then I compile and go into FS. The taxiway is pure white with no texture save for the centerline that has been drawn. What am I doing wrong here? It seems that as long as FS has an extended format BMP it would be happy, right? Can anyone point me in the right direction?Thanks alot

You have to make sure the textures are placed in the /texture folder which should be in the same directory as your /scenery folder.Where have you placed your bgl?

All my textures are in the main FS texture folder. This is not the problem. All other textures show up fine. I've also tried something else. I put the same texture that woudn't work on the taxiway on a polygon. It worked. Is there a special kind of texture that you have to apply to the taxiways? I've tried several and they have all worked except for the one I made.Help

I was wondering if the taxiways may still need the old 8bit bmps...try it.B

Guest Simpit

Are your bitmaps a multiple of 256X256?Derek

Did a small test, changed the texture from my taxilines to DXT1 and it works fine. I use a smaller (64x64) texture, but that should not be the difference.I think the problem is the SCASM code Airport generates. Make sure it is for Fs2002 or otherwise post a piece here, maybe I can find something in it :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JR Morgan

>>>I think the problem is the SCASM code Airport generates. Make sure it is for Fs2002 or otherwise post a piece here, maybe I can find something in it .<<

>Both seem to work fine here..The 2nd one is from >ScenerydbWorld texture bitmaps made into DXT1's. I like to >use polygons for taxiways where you can add the lines, >lights,textures, etc but the Apt taxiway routine does have >most of the options a person would need, I think.This code looks correct to me and you also indicate that it works. But (I haven't tested this) when you set Airport for Fs98 for example instead of Fs2002 the SCASM code is different and I thought that might be the problem.I made my taxiways the same way, polygon for the asphalt and then the lines on top as roads and the lights as dotlines. But I made my own program to generate the SCASM code and didn't use Airport for it :). This is because I got all data in a autocad file.>Hey, while I've got you -- Seperate subject: I'm looking >for a way to change some textures on a signboard at say, one >minute intervals. Can you advise me on a variable test >snippet that does this. The lights blinker variable runs >too quick :-) Maybe I could factor it in SCASM like: [ 300 >* Var]? Have you done this?Don't think such a way would work, all FS time variables are shorter then a minute. But I have another idea. When the sign has to be the same every hour (so the change is depending on the minute) you can use the FS minute variable to see at which minute you are now and change the texture according to that.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for the feedback,I found the problem. I was altering and then saving my textures using PhotoShop Pro. I don't have Paint Shop yet. For some reason those textures would not show up correctly. I then used Microsoft Paint to do the exact same alterations to the textures and everything worked. Who knows.

Guest JR Morgan

>>>you can use the FS minute variable to see at which minute you are now and change the texture according to that.<<<***OK, thanks --- But I'm having a "Senior Moment" and my wife has me working in the yard -- Could you perchance tell me the no. of the variable?***Thanks;J.R.