Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

New York scenery exclude and mods question

I have been trying to exclude the bridges and make new ones but when I compile the scenery in apt 2.6 (build148) nothing happens. Ive checked and rechecked but it seems something is different about the area surrounding New York. Im trying to replace all those crappy bridges as they really kill the realism for me. Does anyone know if there s something Im missing?Hornit

Guest Barney1

You state an intent to "exclude and make new ones"; but "nothing happens".What doesn't happen:a) the default structures aren't being excluded?:( the new ones aren't showing?c) both of the above?

Guest jlwoodward

Maybe this is the same problem that others have had, due to file paths incorrectly specified. Check the posts a few days back.Related to this, I am curious as to whether you can exclude something, and then put something new in the same place. Have not had a chance to try it yet.Mr Hornit- can you make a replacement for the Mid Hudson Bridge at Poughkeepsie, up the river? MS left it out, which disappoints me since it was my home town.John Woodward

I've spent lots of time explaining the flexibility and effectiveness (and ease) involved in writing your own excludes directly in scasm. That's what I recommend. Each time I recommend this, other well known folks here claim I'm not being helpful to the beginners, and counter-recommend programs like airport for excludes. And the troubles keep being reported....on and on.Makes me almost just not bother.And yet my methods work...so its hard not to try to help folks.If you want to see a reliable method for excludes that works, seach this forum on my name and the word exclude.Bob Bernstein

Ok Bob, I'll give your technique a try! Actually Im far from a beginner:) I have done numerous sceneries for The Northeast at this point but Im hesitant to download due to my poor documentation and using textures etc maybe unique to my system. So far in building many sceneries I have had zero problems using the exclude feature in airport to exclude default scenery and redo entire airports to my liking. This is the first time It doesn't work and its only doing it consistently right around New York. I was just curious if there was a specific reason...those damn bridges HAVE TO GO!!Hornit

Guest Barney1

Give us the coordinates of the objects you want removed, and just out of curiosity, I'll see if my 'proven' method works as well!

Guest Barney1

I forgot to add this to my last reply: I wonder if your problem stems from where your exclude file is stored. It would likely work better if placed in the same folder as the default scenery for that area is located.

Im at work so can't find the coordinates til later, but if you want Im trying to exclude the Verrazano Narrows bridge at the mouth of the Hudson.Hornit

Guest PaulL01

>I forgot to add this to my last reply: I wonder if your >problem stems from where your exclude file is stored. It >would likely work better if placed in the same folder as the >default scenery for that area is located. I dont think thats correct, the exclude has to be placed in a directory one layer up, so it should be placed in the new folder where the new scenery will be located, otherwise if you place it in the same folder as the default you will have one file telling fs to display a bridge conflicting with another file tell FS not to display and depending on how the folder is orginized will determain what file wins.Put the exclude file in the same new folder that the new bridges will be in.

Guest PaulL01

What method is that Barney?

Guest PaulL01

>I've spent lots of time explaining the flexibility and >effectiveness (and ease) involved in writing your own >excludes directly in scasm. That's what I recommend. Each >time I recommend this, other well known folks here claim I'm >not being helpful to the beginners, and counter-recommend >programs like airport for excludes. And the troubles keep >being reported....on and on. >>Makes me almost just not bother. >>And yet my methods work...so its hard not to try to help >folks. >>If you want to see a reliable method for excludes that >works, seach this forum on my name and the word exclude. >>Bob Bernstein Your right Bob, it is best to learn the Code as some times the "front end" programs don't get it right and then what are you going to do?Don't give up offering the great help!Take care,

Guest jlwoodward

Barney's method fixed my problems. I keep all my sceneries under My Documents for convenience: NewScenery Scenery TextureI configured Airport to put the bgl into Scenery and the exclude file into NewScenery.John Woodward

Hornit ,I will send you a file with everything included (e-mail, how do you e-mail someone, with attachment, here). I made the exclude in AFW. Let me know if it works ok, it worked for me, I just don't know if its the correct bridge. Copy it to your scenery dir and add it, in game.Muskoka

Hornit, heres a screenshot with the bridge gone and a wee little hanger in its place.Muskoka

Hee hee! Ill be home tonight so you can mail me the exclude atcampisij@bellsouth.net thanks. Now maybe you can go check out all the other crappy bridges around manhattan and do exclude files for me??? Hopefully then I can do the bridges or someone who is good at making macros can do a few for us. I need the Geo Washington and the Brooklyn bridge done as Im not good enough to model those.What do you say guys? Maybe we can form a team for this project?call it the New York Bridge crew and fix up these silly looking white stick figures?? Just a thought.Hornit