Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

New York scenery exclude and mods question

Guest Barney1

This was a tongue-in-cheek answer to Bob who's feeling frustrated by people not accepting his manual editing of Scasm code instead of using the Apt program menu for excluding objects. No offense Bob, just having a bit of fun!The other part of "my method" concerns the separating of exclude *.bgl's from those which deal with the "new" scenery/objects being created, rather than the exclude commands being part of said scenery *.bgl(s).

Guest Barney1

Quite correct. This is another reason I create separate folders for each scenery area and steer away from placing everythinbg in the "Add-on" folder or any of the other default folders contained in the scenerydb system. As stated earlier, this provides for ease of removal upon a later date as well as allowing for better troubleshooting should the need arise.

Guest Barney1

OK, in the spirit of conducting some experiments, I took the coordinates for centre of the first bridge closest to the end of runway 22 at La Guardia.N40 48.2W73 49.69These became the coordinates of my scenery diagram within Apt 2.6 build 152.I used the exclude menu to draw a 'box' which centred upon the bridge (centre of diagram) and extended just short of the shorelines.I placed the *.bgl in a separate folder of my creation, enabled this new folder.... and the bridge was gone.I removed the *.bgl from that folder and placed it in the scenery folder for NY City under the scenerydb system....... and the bridge was gone.Can't be much simpler than that folks. Took less time than to write this! It also appears that either folder works although as stated in past messages, I prefer to create my own folder system.

I have no doubt that Barney's way is good for him. The only reason I've been teaching learning the scasm (which is the output of Airport) is that its so simple to write an exclude, that it gives the user an alternative if using Airport causes anyone problems.Since post after post continues to appear from people that are having problems using Airport for Excludes, Barney's constant demonstrations that persuade folks not to learn scasm will assure that folks continue to struggle with this problem.Suits me, I really don't care. I'm only writing this because Barney has taught that using Airport is the best way to create excludes in response to each and every one of my posts. In this way, if a person is afraid of coding, he is likely to see Barney's way as path of least resistence. Thus, anytime I teach code, Barney will appear and reduce my effort to a waste of time. In truth, if people embraced a coding solution for this feature, they'd have the simplest and easiest introduction to handling code which opens doors to future expertise. Once you understand the code, you begin to understand how to interpret and fix errors yourself without asking for help.Barney, have at it. You are on your own now.I will of course help anyone who wants it, but not thru public posts, Barney will just jump in and talk about airport. Write me a note, and I'll happily explain scasm for excludes to anyone who wants it.Bob Bernstein

Barney's constant Airport information, even though the problems people have with Airport seem endless, has worn me out on the subject. Like what's the point.If folks want to learn to use the raw code, I'd be happy to help, just write me an email using the Avsim email icon. I agree with the value of learning code directly, I guess sharing that message is not real easy.B

I really don't understand what you guys are bickering about, ego's , pride, whos way is the best, who gives a ###T. Hornit has his exclude, thats all that matters. As we all know theres more than one way of doing these excludes, how you do it,is up to you. Find a method that works and stick with it. And do share your findings with others because as great as these programs are, there not perfect, nor are the instructions sometimes conveyed in a way that everyone will understand or that make sense. ie. You CANT do and exclude in AFW if you have your Default and File BGL path pointing to the same directory (it won't compile), even though thats the way the instructions suggest you set things up. Muskoka

I'm not bickering, I'm pushing a river. its dumb, the only thing to do when you find urself pushing a river is just to stop.use email from now on if you want any help from me, and you'll get whatever I can give.Bob B

Guest PaulL01

I'm not sure if you get this, If you put it in the same folder and it gets out of order by windows folder properties then it wont work consistantly it may exclude untill your here or there and then it starts winking out or conflicting.Has this turned into the beginners forum? where are all the vets?

Guest PaulL01

Yeah, this forum has grown weak, seems like all the vets are over at the G-max forums.

At times this seems like the place to be, now and then there is a flurry of interesting activity. Then it subsides. Oh wellB

Guest Barney1

Bob, I have to agree with you with respect to the learning of Scasm code/commands/syntax; there is no doubt about it since the design programs can't keep up with everything that is possible.I still balk at delving into it, but sometimes it does become necessary, and I have sought help on more than a few occassions when faced with Scasm editing.However, that having been said, it was only after designing for a few years that I even considered playing with code. Do you not think it better if the designer becomes adept at designing first _before_ entering the realm of creating code? Otherwise, frustration sets in, and he soon gives up.My approach to replying to the messages here was to demonstrate that the use of Apt2.6 does indeed work. And it should also be noted that these messages are read by more than just the parties of primary interest.....this can't happen when discussion takes place via e-mail.I apologize if you took my comments personally, I meant no such malice. I was merely offering an explanation of what could have gone awry for those experiencing troubles with the program where you were offering an alternative. I see nothing wrong with that; quite often there are more ways to skin a cat.While on the subject of Apt2.6, and for those interested, there is a forum specific to the design program at flightsim.com. Go to Main Menu/FS2002 Forum/Message Area/contiue/Conferences. And no, this is not a plug for the other site.....just another suggested alternative.

Ok Im taking a deep breath here...:) I think i screwed up, either that or I did something I haven't before with airport and just didnt realize it. The goal was to simply exclude the crap bridges around New York with APT 2.6 (Im using 1.48 right now). I then would use Nova or just the default bridges to replace them so there is no bright white cabling on those bridges. I went about the procedure the normal way. Find the lat long and do a new scenery. The way i have it set up (which has always worked!) is to have apt compile the bgl to a folder in FS2K2 which I put there specifically for designing and tweaking scenery. Once Im done I copy the files to a new seperate folder and use it all by itself in the addon scenery folder and activate it the normal way. What I found recently is if I don't get rid of the buld up of bgl's and excludes in my tweaking folder than things stop working. I guess i was tired the other night and did not realize this:) So now Im doing an exclude, replacing the bridge, check it, then copy the files to thier respective dedicated folders, drop them into addon scenery and delete EVERYTHING from the airport tweaking folder to do the next exclude for the next set of bridge or bridges. This is working fine now and as advertised. Sorry if I started what seemed to be some cinfusion, but airport appears to be working fine and I guess if you try to do this stuff after a long day and stay up until 2am these sorts of things are going to happen. I should be done shortly replacing bridges with what I think are better than the default. They may not be 100% accurate but NONE of them will have that bright white support structure, Ill post some screens later!Hornit