Sign in to follow this  
Guest JR Morgan

Airport2.60v153 problem with roads & autogene scenery

Hi FSdesigners,I have produced a number of roads in my own city and the result wasthis; the roads came up in FS2002 very well, but....... most of the,by FSautogene generated scenery (houses & buildings) was gone.Is this the normal case or am i doing something wrong?I hope somebody of the designers can give me some explanation.FS2002Prothanks in advance!bert www.worldoffs.com

Yes, that is normal. The autogen is automatically removed by the scenery engine around a custom BGL. I don't know if someone has already found a solution for this.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,thanks for your very qiuck reply; indeed i also hope that someone will or has allready found a solution for this (big?) problem.happy flying and designingbert

I think the best solution is the place the roads using the new mesh style, but without a SDK I don't see this happen very fast.And when you design an airport you do want the autogen to go, you don't want to have a tree on your runway or so :), so I understand that they turn the autogen off around an custom BGL.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JR Morgan

Hi Bert... In Apt26, if you make your roads out of textured polygons instead of the Create Roads routine, you can (1) preserve all the autogen or (2) preserve most of the autogen, depending on how you set the Surface Type options in the "Create Polygon" window of Apt26.To preserve ALL autogen, select the "Asphalt,Concrete" surface type and enter 0's (zeros) for the X (width) & Y (height) boxes. This election is not related to texture selection, so you can still have any texture you wish, including night conditioned ones.To allow autogen to be fairly close-to but not on your polygon roads,select "None" in the surface type option.Note: If there's any variation of ground surface elevation under your polygon road, the polygon will rest upon the highest (hill, rock, etc) elevation point of the ground underlying the road. THEREFORE, you should place a "Flatten Area" under roads if such variation exists.J.R.

hi J.R,thanks for your reply; it was the only usable one in the forums!Do i get it right?Your solution means that you have to create your own roads on a polygon and that is hell of a lot more work and time than the Apt's roadsroutines.So the conclusion is:or use the apt's roads routine; means no buildings anymoreor your way polygons with simple grey roads.bye for now

Guest GerrishGray

Hi BertYes, our friend 'JR' is the expert in this field - follow his advice!Just to clarify another point, Autogen is NOT turned off merely by the presence of a custom BGL. The mechanism operates on an object-by-object basis. Some object types have a worse effect (i.e. knock out more Autogen stuff) than others because it is more difficult for the scenery engine to determine their actual size - it seems to rely on some pretty simple tests in order to keep things simple and maintain decent frame rates.RegardsGerrish

Guest JR Morgan

Hi Bert and Gerrish -- Re:>>>So the conclusion is:or use the apt's roads routine; means no buildings anymoreor your way polygons with simple grey roads.<<<***Bert, this is only partially true -- You can "dress-up" your polygon based roads with special texturing, night effects texturing, etc and the texturing doesn't seem to hinder autogen. As for the amount of work involved; yes more work is required but for me it's worth the time spent to get the more pleasing effect. ____________________________>>>Yes, our friend 'JR' is the expert in this field<<