Sign in to follow this  

Light beam...gmax....how to???

Hey all, First, thanks to Arno for helping me with the old api crash problem. Now I have a new one ;-) How can I make a light beam, or iluminate an area, such as the ground, without an _lm ground texture? I know it's something like "light" in the name tag within gmax, but what else? Thanks, Leandro

Go get fsregen here:http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.htmlFSRegen can help you make any lighting effectsavailable in fs2k2. Just now, I was able to makesome light poles in GMAX, and with FSRegen, I wasable to make light "splash" down onto the ground.I was able to do this by applying LIGHT_LAND tomy object in FSRegen. Granted, this isn't a "beam" of light like theone going up from the pyramid in Las Vegas, butthe effect is good enough for me, which is nightlighting at an airport I'm fooling with. I think the "beam' in vegas is actually an fs2k2 effectsfile, which FSRegen can apply to objects as well.I've also found FSRegen's ability to make anyobject an API via the library tools VERY HANDY.With this feature, you can create objects in GMAX, and them place them using Airport like youcan with any other API object. This feature is onlyavailable in the development release of FSRegen, andit isn't documented very well at the moment, butit has been covered here in the forum.These are the types of things that FSRegen was made for!Matt

Thanks Matt, I'll fool around with FSRegen for this. About the api, I did it yesterday with an outdoor I made. I'm working on a scenery for the southern region of Brazil, so I made a generic add board and using an api which directs to the library is very usefull. FSRegen RULES. heheheh. Thanks, see ya

I select the .asm file and click open, but it says the following error message:"This file cannot be used. (Already Processed?)"What should I do? The .asm file was just exported from gmax.

I had that problem. Make sure you get the latest MakeMDL.exe from the MakeMDL SDK at microsoft's fs2k2 zone website.

>I had that problem. Make sure you get the latest MakeMDL.exe >from the MakeMDL SDK at microsoft's fs2k2 zone website. I've got it done. I was checking the HAS LIGHT MAP on Middleman/MakeMDL. Now it's ok, but I have a new problem :-( All I can get after fooling around with FSRegen is light a little bright spot, pretty much like the red beacon on top of the building, only white, the color I want, and that will stay on all the time, but I can't get it to "shine" onto the outdoor add board I made. Any ideas??? Thanks, Leandro

It might have to do with the angle of the poly you appliedthe fsregen material to. Also, the only way I was able to get the light to "splash"on the ground was to use the LIGHT_LAND selection in fsregen.However, I am not sure if light will "splash" onto an object.I havent tried that yet. But I have gotten it to splash allover the ground textures. Matt