Sign in to follow this  

A warning... Six month old IBM Hard Drive DOA.

Guest SoarPics

< Because you've had "bad luck" with Maxtor everyone else should stay away? Perhaps if you elaborated on your above statements they may actually be taken seriously... It's great when you can actually backup your opinion with facts - lends credibility to your argument Max Cowgill>Thanks for clearing this up, Max. I've bought or built 9 different Maxtor based systems in the past 4 years and never had a problem with any of them. Maybe this drive I bought to replace the IBM will get me? Who knows!I heard from IBM today. They advised that the problem with my HD may stem from exceeding the recommended 8 hrs./day usage they recently recommended.Jeez!!!! Unbelievable.Definition of IBM: Picture a man standing on one foot with a surprised look on his face, smoking pistol in hand, and a smoking hole in the other foot. It will be the surprised look one his face that makes you laugh.

Guest georgi55

>I heard from IBM today. They advised that the problem with >my HD may stem from exceeding the recommended 8 hrs./day >usage they recently recommended. >>Jeez!!!! Unbelievable. >What the hell is that....you need to own 3 servers in order to operate with IBM hardrive??(And you will need somekind of automatic switcher :()Da*n...

Guest SoarPics

Uhmm, I think so. So what, you don't have three servers ready to handle your IT needs??Regards,

Guest georgi55

>Uhmm, I think so. So what, you don't have three servers >ready to handle your IT needs?? >>Regards, Well, that means you will need 9 servers then.If that 8 hours theory was true you will need 3 times more server than now, that's what I meant.(so if you have main and backup server,(2 servers) you will now need 6 to meet 8 hours theory)Please don't statrt IT with me :(

One of my two new IBM 120GXP DeskStar 80GB drives is bad. I spent 8.5 hours yesterday installing everything from scratch and one of the 2 disks (don't know which one yet) started to do the infamous "clicking" sound. I've been there before, they start clicking and after a few weeks they die :-grrSo much for IMB disk, I wasted too much time and energy installing those disks, Windows XP and "all" my software and now they are going back to the store :-madNow I want to get just one large disk, something like a 80-120GB 7200 rpm 8.5 ms "quiet" drive. I've read bad things about IBM and Maxtor, how about Western Digital? Can you recommend one?J. Padron (KMIA)

Guest mikehaska

When I got the drive, I had a 20 gig Quantum in the main machine, and a WD 4 gig in the other. I got the Maxtor ATA100 40 gig for editing videos (my other hobby). After 6 months of marginal performance (on boot, the controller would occasionally not detect the drive), it made the coffee grinder noise, and lost everything. I reinstalled (I had a project to do) and low and behold, with Win2000, it would crash every hour on the hour with a BSOD. I researched this crashing at Microsoft's site, assuming it was a problem with windows, but I discovered that Maxtor ATA100 drives will cause this crash, and to contact the vendor.So I went to the Maxtor site, and looked around, submitted an email to their support system, and the monkey's sent me back an email saying "install service pack 2" (duh, that's the first thing I tried). I sent an email saying that it didn't help, and they ignored me, until they sent me an email a week later saying "Since we have not heard back from you, we are assuming you have solved your problem. Please do not respond to this email..."So I gave them a call during their business hours, where the guy said: Sorry, I've never heard of that problem. Are you sure it's really occuring?" Of course, I may have believed him were it not for the dozens of reports of this occuring, and the Microsoft service bulletin, so I said: "Fine, my drive's under warranty, let me return it" No dice, I had to return it to the store, yada yada yada, looong story short, it was a huge hassle, not so much the drive, but the lousy, arrogant, unhelpful support (if you can call it support)In summary, along with this problem, Maxtor drives also suffer from overheating quite easily, a few people I know have literally toasted their drives.I agree, most drives are a gamble, but I would steer clear of IBM, and I would suggest, based on my experience, steer clear of Maxtor.'Nuff said.

Guest Max Cowgill

Anecdotal evidence doesn't do much for me... Perhaps if you had figures as a percent of Maxtor's users that had problems with their HDs your anecdote could be used to convey that message, but without any figures to back it up it's just the one-time experience of a single person. Going by your logic no one should buy any hardware from any company, because every company that's ever released PC hardware has had products fail on them with every product release. That's just the nature of mechanical/electrical devices. A certain rate of failure is to be expected. If not, companies would never have warranties or return policies because they'd know that 100% of their products would work from the factory and never fail on their users. As far as Maxtor's tech support goes, I don't know on that one, because I've never had to call them, but the same thing holds true with tech support as does in manufacturing. Being a Tech is one of the hardest, most frustrating jobs on the planet because you have to put up with the stupidity of others day in and day out, trying to maintain extraordinary patience and civility throughout. To put it simply, there are bad apples in every group. Max Cowgill

Hi Max,You said:"Perhaps if you had figures as a percent of Maxtor's users that had problems with their HDs your anecdote could be used to convey that message, but without any figures to back it up it's just the one-time experience of a single person."I just have to disagree with that statement. I have been following this thread just a bit. :-)The IBM 8 Hour rule is real, documented, and shown in the IBM User [br] manuals. I believe it is expressed as a monthly number of hours rule[br] that when divided up amounts to around 8-10 hours a day.As for maxtor, companies that have problems that are more than one person, and may be many issue service bulletins. So Alas, after a quick search, here is one from Maxtor:http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/...tins/15004.htmlNow with Quantum, I went to their website, searched For quantum drive detection problems in their knowledge base and found 25 Topics. That to me tells me that more than one person is having problems, and I tend to let Maxtor's credibility stand on this one by stating that there are WELL-DOCUMENTED problems with Maxtor Quantum drives.Here is one specific to Quantum Drives and reason #4 is that the HD failed: I don't think they print those just because only 1 person had a problem. To me that is an admission that they have had more than a few fail.http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor....fcGFnZT0z&p_li=As usual truth and evidence rules the day. :-)As for someone coming up with a percentage. Only Maxtor would know, or maybe you can provide us with a % of people with no problems. Just a thought, as It gets pretty old when non-qualified people determine that people don't have problems. That IMHO is just not a realistic viewpoint. People have problems. Happy Thursday,Joe :-wave http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest mikehaska

Max Cowgill = Maxtor?Just kidding. I agree with you 100 percent on everything you said. Stuff fails, it's no huge problem, as long as the company is willing to replace it if it is their fault (to their credit, Maxtor has a fair RMA policy). As well, I agree being a tech is tough.All I'm saying is that better tech support would be nice, and that in my experience, I would go with WD.

Guest Max Cowgill

Joe, the point of my post that you responded to was to say that no manufacturer is perfect, so your counter-argument is actually in agreement with mine... Yet you represent your argument as though I have said the opposite of what you're saying, which is not true. At no point in this thread have I said "Maxtor is perfect" or "there are no problems with Maxtor drives." In fact, if you actually read my previous post you'll notice a few interesting lines in there about every manufacturer having problems with every product they've ever released. :-roll Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post... As for the whole IBM 8-hour issue, I haven't made a single comment on that in this thread yet you say "The IBM 8 Hour rule is real, documented, and shown in the IBM User manuals." as though I've disavowed this issue's existance. "It gets pretty old when non-qualified people determine that people don't have problems. That IMHO is just not a realistic viewpoint. People have problems." It gets pretty old when you infer things that I haven't said or even implied, especially when I'm saying the exact opposite! :-roll I never said mikehaska didn't have a problem with his drive, just that he shouldn't represent his own experience as the only reason people shouldn't buy Maxtor. Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>Max Cowgill = Maxtor? LOL, nice try. I have no affiliation with any PC corporation, actually. >All I'm saying is that better tech support would be nice, and that in my experience, I would go with WD. It's too bad you had a bad experience with Maxtor's tech support, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on both sides of this issue... As far as WD goes, I would recommend them as well (but I would still recommend Maxtor too). I'm glad to see we're in agreement on some things :)cheers,Max Cowgill

Max,The IBM reference was a general statement and I never implied that you disagreed with it. It was only a general statement to those that may not be aware of the IBM Problems. I should have separated that paragraph and I apologize if you thought I said you didn't agree. - If he feels that his problem wasn't addressed properly by the OEM, then he has a right to advise others so they don't encounter something similar. -It was the statement that you made. IMHO If a person has a documented problem like the poster had, you are not qualified to tell him he is the only one who has a problem. I think you should apologize for making that statement to him. He made the statement as a matter of fact based on his experience. In addition I posted evidence directly from Maxtor regarding his position, so it is this statement that I have a concern with:You said:"Anecdotal evidence doesn't do much for me... Perhaps if you had figures as a percent of Maxtor's users that had problems with their HDs your anecdote could be used to convey that message, but without any figures to back it up it's just the one-time experience of a single person. Going by your logic no one should buy any hardware from any company, because every company that's ever released PC hardware has had products fail on them with every product release"I find that statement condescending and insulting. Why can't you acknowledge the facts. Unless you are a MAXTOR tech who diagnosed his system, you are not qualified. IMHO.***I read every post in here. If I didn't reference a specific sentence, I may actually agree with some if not most of the things that you said.***Regards, :-)Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest Max Cowgill

>It was the statement that you made. IMHO If a person has a >documented problem like the poster had, you are not qualified to >tell him he is the only one who has a problem. I think you should >apologize for making that statement to him. He made the statement as >a matter of fact based on his experience. In addition I posted >evidence directly from Maxtor regarding his position, so it is this >statement that I have a concern with:>You said:>"Anecdotal evidence doesn't do much for me... Perhaps if you had >figures as a percent of Maxtor's users that had problems with their >HDs your anecdote could be used to convey that message, but without >any figures to back it up it's just the one-time experience of a >single person. Going by your logic no one should buy any hardware >from any company, because every company that's ever released PC >hardware has had products fail on them with every product release">I find that statement condescending and insulting. Why can't you >acknowledge the facts. Unless you are a MAXTOR tech who diagnosed >his system, you are not qualified. IMHO.>***I read every post in here. If I didn't reference a specific >sentence, I may actually agree with some if not most of the things >that you said.***Joe, I'm sorry that you find my posts condescending, but the referenced post wasn't addressed to you so there's no reason for you to be personally offended by it. Anyway, you're still not getting it... Never at any point did I say that he shouldn't report his problem, or that his problem doesn't exist. I never even implied that. If you would read my later posts and stop fixating on the referenced post perhaps you would be able to see that. Once again, for the record let me say this: I never said he didn't have a problem with his HD, or that his issue isn't valid. The intent of the aforementioned post was to say that mikehaska shouldn't be telling people not to buy Maxtor simply because of one bad experience he's had, and represent his experience as if it were the only reason to buy or not to buy Maxtor. One person's experience is anecdotal evidence, no matter how credible or factual that expereince may be. That's just the definition of anecdotal. Of course, he can say whatever he wants to say and as a consumer he has the right to criticize any company he's purchased products from. I just happen to disagree with the way he represented his original post is all. I don't doubt him at all when he says he had a bad experience with Maxtor, nor do I think his opinion is somehow invalid. I just disagree with the *original* representation of said opinion.Max Cowgill

Max, You did it again:You said:"The intent of the aforementioned post was to say that mikehaska shouldn't be telling people not to buy Maxtor simply because of one bad experience he's had, and represent his experience as if it were the only reason to buy or not to buy Maxtor." Why not? That is what consumer power is all about. If that is the case, how come your not out there bashing every negative MSFS2002 or Negative Fly!II post that appears when someone says not to buy it. It seems slightly hypocritical to me, but I do understand where you are coming from, even if I don't agree with you. If you like I will list my products that I don't think people should buy.Here is one:Scotts Lawn Mowers sold by Home Depot under Scotts by John Deere.(orange and green) I have a few more as well.You said:"I just happen to disagree with the way he represented his original post is all."And the same for me:I think we will just have to disagree on your choice of words and leave it at that.Regards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest Max Cowgill

>Max, >>You did it again: >>You said: >"The intent of the aforementioned post was to say that >mikehaska shouldn't be telling people not to buy Maxtor >simply because of one bad experience he's had, and represent >his experience as if it were the only reason to buy or not >to buy Maxtor." >>Why not? That is what consumer power is all about. If that >is the case, how come your not out there bashing every >negative MSFS2002 or Negative Fly!II post that appears when >someone says not to buy it. It seems slightly hypocritical >to me, but I do understand where you are coming from, even >if I don't agree with you. >>If you like I will list my products that I don't think >people should buy. >>Here is one: >Scotts Lawn Mowers sold by Home Depot under Scotts by John >Deere.(orange and green) I have a few more as well. >>You said: >"I just happen to disagree with the way he represented his >original post is all." >>And the same for me: >I think we will just have to disagree on your choice of >words and leave it at that. No Joe, YOU did it again. You're taking small snippets of what I'm saying and fixating on single phrases/statements. What you left out of the above quote is what I said after that, "Of course, he can say whatever he wants to say and as a consumer he has the right to criticize any company he's purchased products from. I just happen to disagree with the way he represented his original post is all. I don't doubt him at all when he says he had a bad experience with Maxtor, nor do I think his opinion is somehow invalid. I just disagree with the *original* representation of said opinion."What's the first sentence in that quote? "Of course, he can say whatever he wants to say and as a consumer he has the right to criticize any company he's purchased products from." You keep making points as though I'm saying the opposite of what I'm saying! Stop misrepresenting my words and there will be no argument. I have no problem with you having a different opinion than I do, problem is, you don't have a different opinion than me! You seem to think we're in complete disagreement with each other but the only disagreement I have with you is your misrepresentation of my words. Max Cowgill