Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

FSDS MACRO HELP

Hi all, Don. Have a question. I need to make some people. How do I go about doing this? I have tried what I thought was the 'right" way and I get black boxes. Great for folks dressed in black at night, but doesn't look too good in the day. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks all.Don

Hi there Don please tell me if I am right all you see are boxes andnot a mesh that looks like a "person". While I have modeled with FSDS (buildings etc) I've only modeled figures in 3DS MaxGmax and Maya. Have you tried to do your models in gmax were you can see what you are doing as you do it?. (P.S I am not trying to give you a hard time.) Dan

Hi Dan. No, I don't even touch GMax yet! LOL!! I use FSDS for all my macros too, but I know people can be be made. I'm just looking to take cutout pictures and put them on a poly with a transparent background. Can't seem to do it!Don

Guest JR Morgan

Don..'Last time I did this it worked fine as follows:Processed the texture bitmap using BMP2000, making sure all colors except those in the picture were changed to transparent by BMP2000. Saved it as an 8 bit extended bmp --- Later converted it to DXT to get mip maps, using ImageTool.Placed the picture on a transparent wall type polygon. I used VOD 3, however, can't see why it shouldn't work in FSDS.J.R.

I have no problem at all with this method. If they are black you must have a texture problem.As JR mentioned try to make a DXT1 texture out of it using ImageTool. Make an alpha channel with the parts you want to be transparant (in your painting program). There is no need to convert it using BMP2000 first btw.PS. A nicer way is to use just a single polygon with the RotateToAircraft command.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Arno, remember Don wants to do people, not trees. People wouldn't look right with rotateto activated.B

I also made my people that way :). I don't mind that they always look to me. That's better then seeing that it is just a simple plane.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have all the programs you are talking about so I will give it a try.Don

Guest hefy_jefy

I agree,What looks better? rotating people or "flat" people?I cheated a bit and "stole" the .API from some trees and just stuck people on them!It doesn't notice, (unless you spend all your time looking out of the side window as you fly past)Geoff