Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

The resample method ??

Does Terraserver have Canadian images? I don't know. I had trouble when I first started too. My scenery wouldn't show up in FS either. I think I just had too small of an area, but it sounds like that is not your problem. Read Bob's post here about resampling using the imagetool he gave a link to. But definitely make sure you have a folder in your ADDON SCENERY folder named appropriately with the required scenery and texture sub folders. Then place all the converted bmps in the texture folder and the bgl you get from running tmf2bgl in the scenery folder. Add it in FS like you would any other scenery. I know this repeating simple things, but I think this could have been my problem. I just didn't do things just right. I ended up following all the steps very slowly and everything ended up OK.I hope you get it to work. As per the FSCalculator limit - I don't know. It has handled all of my images but I think mine were about 1500 x 1500 in resolution.

Tom, its true that you are applying what I've discussed, but I see your work as a unique spin because you are heading toward a minimizing the photographic area, which will more simulate the appearance you'd get if you could "draw" a photoreal road onto the default.I'll post some screenies tonight and show you the difference, my approach has been to maximize the photo area and only use screenshot default painted areas in transition. Not any different technically, but different artistically.My newest terrain effort inludes a valley surrounded by high ground with two airports in the valley. I'm going to let the high ground "revert" to default and see if it looks cool.Cheers,B

Thanks Bob and tlassiterYes, after running resample.exe on my inf file, the output was one tmf file, and 30 bmps each about 192kb in size. I also got a bgl file from running tmf2bgl on the tmf file.I installed it like I would any other scenery.FS2002Addon SceneryMy SceneryScenery and texture folders with the bgl in the this scenery and converted DXT1 bitmaps in the texture folder. Then I added the scenery to the scenery library.From what you say I was right in not simply putting the bgl to the FS2002 root scenery folder and the textures to the root texture folder so I don't know what could be wrong ?I guess I also need to ask how do I configure a bitmap for meters/pixel ? To get my bitmap I just took a screenshot from topdown view in FS and converted the 1024 x 768 bitmap to 3072 x 3072 thinking that after I painted over the large bitmap I would dice it to have 9 hirez 1024 bitmaps to work with.I was thinking this was the way to do it ? :-)Your help still needed :-)Thanks Steve

The only way I know is to have some known distance portrayed on your photo. The runways offer the easiest landmark. www.airnav.com is a good reference for the lengths of most every runway, you learn what its length is in meters (feet * .3) and then you measure how many pixels are used to represent your runway. divide the two and you have resolution.Of course if you are using screenshots as your base photo, interesting notion, then you could put a temporary runway in place just as a test for resolution, if you do that make it as long as your photo allows. Less error that way. Best,Bob BPS...sometimes fs2k2 doesn't refresh very well. Restart the program and make sure that's not the problem.

Great post, but I'm having trouble locating one of the tools you've listed as "FSTerrain Caculator" were might I find this program???>Alright Steve...ready? >>Here is the method I used/am using for my scenery. >>1. Get USA PhotoMaps and learn how to use it. It is very >easy and doesn't take a lot of effort. This will allow you >to dowload the satellite (terraserver) images of your >airport area. The key to this is that you have to get a >good portion of the area, because when you resample, you >have to have at least one complete LOD13 quadrant with >imagery in it (I think this is right...you'll see later). >>2. Once you get your area downloaded, assemble a complete >picture of what you are going to resample. I ended up with >4 large 8m/pixel pictures from USA PhotoMaps and just merged >them in PhotoShop. >>3. Now you have a large .bmp that you are going to resample >using the resample.exe from the Terrain SDK. Resample.exe >requires an inf file which is documented in the SDK. There >is a program out there called FSTerrain Caculator. GET IT. >It needs a reference point from your big picture (in Paint >or PhotoShop move the cursor over a point you can find in >FS2k2 easily - like the corner of a runway and record the x >and y values). Now get the Lat Long of the corresponding >point in FS. Plug these values into the Terrain Calculator >using the scale of 8m/pixel and it will give you an inf >file. I don't use the automated batch file that comes with >the Calculator - I do stuff manually after this. The >calculator will set up a folder and files will be placed in >here - just look for them. >>4. From a command prompt type: resample your_file.inf. >This will produce a tmf file and a bunch of bmps. The bmps >are the 256 x 256 texture slices of the area. >>5. From a command prompt type: tmf2bgl your_file.tmf >your_file.bgl >This will produce the bgl file you need. By the way, I am >not mentioning folder placement or where tmf2bgl is found >and all of that because I assume you know that. >>6. Get the Convdxt program from MW Graphics web site - I >think it is in the beta area. Run it and convert all the >bmp slices to DXT1. Make a new scenery (MyScenery) folder >structure in your choice of places. Add the bgl to the >scenery folder. Add the converted textures to the texture >folder. Add this like any other scenery in FS2k2. >>If nothing shows up, you might not have produced a large >enough area. Like I said, I am using 4 big pictures and am >covering a large chunk of land. My airport (which is pretty >big) is about one fifth the size of the total area. >>7. Once you get this to work, now you are free to alter the >images any way you see fit. Just change the un-converted >(193k) slices using PhotoShop or whatever and the convert >them again and put in your MyScenery texture folder. You >can see your progress as you SLOWLY color each file and >start FS againand again and again and again and again,etc, >etc. >>I am pretty happy with the results I am getting. I use >default textures in some places and just paint in others. >My PhotoShop skills are limited, but I can get some decent >results. That is another how to. >>If you have any more questions email me directly. >>I hope this helps. I would post a picture of my scenery if >I could upload it, but I can't. It comes back as an error. >>Oh yeah, the Terraserver images are probably old. The ones >I used were from 1993. MapQuest has updated images (at >least for me). I have had to merge these newer images with >my old texture slices in PhotoShop to add important things - >like a whole highway system, parking facilities, basically a >lot of stuff. This had been an A #1 pain in the hassle. If >you don't care about detail like that then don;t worry, but >I am anal so I wanted to be a accurate as possible. I guess >it is possible to create your main resample photo from the >MapQuest site, but you would have to find a way to get the >scale. I might have done this if I had a fast connection or >if I hadn't already used the Terraserver one to do all my >Airport layout. They are in color too. I found that the >images were the same old ones I had until you zoom in to the >second or third level. Constructing a huge picture out of >this would be a pain too. >>Ramble Ramble.... >

I can't really remember where I found it, but it had to be mentioned in the Terrabuilder Forum b/c I found it while I was searching for help for someone new to the design work. I didn't have a clue how to do this so it has to be somewhere easy to find. Try a search for it or a search for "Newbie" or something like that.Hope it helps.