Sign in to follow this  

Hardening taxiways

I created a series of odd shaped taxiways but now when the aircraft taxis over that area, it bounces as if it were taxing over the grass/dirt. The runway is hard, but nothing else is.ThanksPilotwings

Which program did you use to make the scenery? Airport has an option to make then smooth. For other programs you will have to make a BGL with a surfacetype command yourself.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno, thanks for the quick reply.I made the scenery using Architect 2002. Make a separate BGL? Hmmm... good idea. I created a separate BGL that flattens and excludes the default scenery already. How do I harden areas with the separate BGL?ThanksEnrique

Arno, while i'm at it, would you know also how to create the multitexturing effect on ground polygons? What I am referring to is the grain texture used on taxiways and runways to give the illusion of more resolution.ThanksEnrique

For the code to make it smooth, take a look at my website (see link below), look in de SCASM tips section.And for the multitexturing, that is a very difficult question. I think it could only work with a piece of mesh scenery, but we will need the SDK to be able to make it.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Regarding the multi-texturing:I haven't really experimented with Creating multitexturing, but... When looking at the alpha channel for the runway13.bmp (the default Grass runway texture), doesn't it seem like it's simply a matter of using that alpha channel for multitexturing? As in: black = transparent, white = non-transparant, and shades of gray giving the partial bleedthrough? Doesn't the scenery engine simply "know" that it should treat an alpha channel in a poly texture as transparancy, and will create the multitexturing effect automatically based on the transparencies of overlapping textures?But I might well be missing something...Best,/Bj

Yes!I mean way back last fall I produced a semi transparent ground polygon with a texture that contained semitrasparent pixels and the ground underneath came through in parts just as I wanted it to.

Hi all.In some posts about TMF-style decal polygons, I mentioned that textures may be referenced by name, using CFS2-style referencing. That allows custom-made semi-transparent mesh-clinging textures to be placed anywhere... along with any autogen you'd like to assign the texture.Christian and Lee are both working at improving the interface for creating TMF BGLs, so hopefully, we'll have an easier way to code airport backgrounds in the near future. Such BGLs are possible now, but few designers seem interested in learning the BGLC ( MASM ) method.

Thanks, that's interesting stuff ... :) I'll sure look into that...