Sign in to follow this  

can one put Atis messages in fs2k2?

Hi,I use Airport for Windows.In the past, with fs98 I made good use of the possibility of adding Atis messages to scenery.In fs2k2 this was just not possible.Is it possible to add Atis in fs2k2?If not, is there a way to add text or voice messages that one could pick up if he passed close enough to them and had his radio on a set frequency?ThanksDanny Levin

Danny,I am prety sure that adding ATIS is still the same for FS2002 as it was for FS98/FS2000 - just make a BGL containing the ATIS coding (see the Airport 'Help' under ATIS Codes). Set your co-ords, right-click and the desktop in Airport and select 'Create ATIS'.When you have made your BGL just place it in the same directory as your scenery files and FS will just say what you want without the need for special voice files!Peter Leadbeater,Air Pierre, Warrington, UK.

Hi Danny,The simplest way, I believe, is to just add the ATIS (or AWOS if you prefer, or both) in AFCAD. That will put the ATIS frequency in the AFD files, together with the Tower and all the other Comms freqs. Best,/Bj

Hi Danny! I too am having a problem getting my ATIS to display scrolling text or voice messages in FS2002...I have created an airfield using APT2.6/153 and cannot seem to get the ATIS to work... I also have tried with AFCAD, FSDS, FS Architect(demo) but with no luck... I figure I am either missing something or doing something wrong... I just can't figure out what! LOL!!!I have thought of editing the scasm source code but I don't know the proper syntax... Here's what my current ATIS scasm entry looks like:Frequency( 123.000 ATIS ) SetupLoc( 40:14.57701 -105:44.2011 3108.96 261.8 1 0 25 ) SetupLoc( 40:14.42299 -105:45.59887 3108.96 261.8 1 0 07 )I know the (%)tags for time, weather, conditions, etc but I do not know exactly how to place them into the scasm source code... Any help on the problem would sure be appreciated! I'll post anything I can find out on the issue that may be of help here... Thanks in advance!!!Mtnred

I am also having a problem with setting up the ATIS messages using Airport For Windows (build 154). Not having tried to add a ATIS service to a new airport facility prior to this build, I wonder if earlier releases did work. Funny, you would think that the problem would have been addressed by the design team. Obviously, the help file on ATIS makes it look like the tool has no problem in this area.For whatever it is worth, it appears that one can include a automated weather frequency, and it works properly.George B.

How did you get the waether frequency to work? What does the ATIS scacm source code look like??? Could you paste it here??? Pretty please??? LOL!!! Man, I've tried everything to get the dang weather to work but no go... My ATC works as far as requests for takeoff and landing clearance and will announce position on approach fine... Just no weather! Here's my entire AFD Scasm scource code... Maybe it will help with the ATC troubles... It was created in APT2.6/153 and frequencies added with AFCAD...;---------------------------------------------------------------------------; AFD SCASM file - generated by Freeware Version 2.6 Build 153; TEST PARADISE.SCASunday, August 11, 2002 - 1:37:33 PM; HomeFile( "TEST PARADISE_AFD.bgl" );---------------------------------------------------------------------------Set( FSVERS 0x800 ) Header( 1 40.36667 40.11667 -105.87333 -105.62333 )AI_BORDER( 40.36667 40.11667 -105.87333 -105.62333 )Container( APT 1 ) APLocation( 40:14.5 -105:44.9 3108.96 ) ICAO_ID( PDS1 ) RwyLoc( 40:14.5 -105:44.9 3108.96 261.8 11.8 6562 98 0 25 4 0x60 304.8 ) Frequency( 123.000 ATIS ) SetupLoc( 40:14.57701 -105:44.2011 3108.96 261.8 1 0 25 ) SetupLoc( 40:14.42299 -105:45.59887 3108.96 261.8 1 0 07 )ENDCContainer( NDB 2 ) NavAid( 40:14.51297 -105:45.43543 3108.96 -11.8 0.500 NDB 6 0 PDS1 )ENDCNamelist( 409 ) NameEntry( REGION 0 "North America" ) NameEntry( COUNTRY 0 "United States" ) NameEntry( STATE 0 "Colorado" ) NameEntry( NDB 2 "Paradise Mountain " ) NameEntry( CITY 0 "Granby" ) NameEntry( AIRPORT 1 "Paradise Mountain" )ENDNL

Well after inputting all the message information within the ATIS screen (I am using the lastest regular build....154), then lookingat the scasm code for the adf file I see the following for the ATISentry:Frequency( 124.000 AWOS ) Frequency( 124.100 ATIS ) SetupLoc( 32:18.82954 -080:40.85048 0 4.6 1 0 01 ) SetupLoc( 32:19.80631 -080:40.75755 0 184.6 1 0 19 ) SetupLoc( 32:19.32547 -080:41.73346 0 94.6 1 0 10 ) SetupLoc( 32:19.25099 -080:40.63996 0 274.6 1 0 28 ) SetupLoc( 32:19.68935 -080:41.72622 0 135.8 1 0 14 ) SetupLoc( 32:18.82232 -080:40.73019 0 315.8 1 0 32 ) SetupLoc( 32:18.74762 -080:41.71193 0 49.8 1 0 05 ) SetupLoc( 32:19.52649 -080:40.62315 0 229.8 1 0 23 )Now, I have observed the following.After I put in let us say the following information in the ATIS message window (the one the help files says to enter data into),like this:Parris Island %A%B%C%J%K%I And put in the following for the lower window titled comments:Parris Island.I get the code that you see above. So I compile and save the airport files. Go into the simulator and see if ATIS services show up. THEY DO NOT. So I exit the simulator and run AirportForWindows. And look at the AFD file again.I NO LONGER SEE THE MESSAGE INFORMATION THAT I HAD PREVIOUSLY ENTERED IN THE MESSAGE WINDOW WITHIN THE ATIS WINDOW. BUT THE CODE IS STILL PRESENT IN THE ADF FILE. Nor the "Parris Island" I placed in the comment field.Now whether I run AFCAD after compiling and saving the AFW stuff, seems to make no difference as far as AFCAD perhaps somehow goofing up the bgl files that supposedly would contain the ATIS info. Of course I run AFCAD after each AFW compile/save, in order to restore the information for taxiways/runways and parking areas. And interestingly, I see the entry for ATIS (frequency and the comment name I assign it while in AFW while doing a list on communication frequencies in AFCAD. Put another way, AFCAD knows that the comment I entered in AFW ATIS screen comment field was "Parris Island" for instance, and it knows what frequency I had assigned ATIS while in AFW.Lastly, I did nothing special regarding entering the Weather Observation Service other then to click on the top menu "Sections",then in the sub menu choose: Airport Facilities Directory Data.Then in that window on the lower right panel, entered a frequency for Automated Weather under the main heading titled Frequencies.You will notice that here is where you also put an entry in for the ATIS service frequency.So at this point I plan on sending a email to the AFW designers to see if there is a known bug concerning the ATIS entries.Perhaps you folks should also let them know that ATIS is not working as advertised.cheers.George B.

In FS2002, ATIS messages are developed by the voice generator, the same as other ATC messages. It takes the downloaded weather data, finds the proper speech coding for the winds, temperature, pressure, etc. and strings it together for the ATIS message.To solve your problem, I believe you would need to ensure your airport is included in the weather ICAO listing. Now the big problem! Does your airport really exist and does it provide information to the NOAA (Jeppersen) database. If not, then you will probably not get weather specific to your airport, maybe some locally generated data based on LAT/LONG. You are probably going to have to ensure the location is also included in some file in the AFDFiles database just like all the other airports.There may be other scenery files that need updating, as well.

wsieffert,Thanks for the input. I was not aware that their was a "weather ICAO listing" somewhere in fs2k2 directory structure. It is a shame that the AirportForWindow help file does not mention this. I am sure there have been many people over the past few years that have tried to scratch build airports find that the ATIS services do not work.They really should have put this cavet in their documentation.In my case I have built up the airport that exists in real life on Parris Island, but is not contained in the airport.api file, so I had to assign it a fictitious ICAO ID. Funny though, as mentioned above, the AWOS works fine. And it's frequency is entered in window,(Airport Facility Directory window under SECTIONS).I sent a email to the AFW group to see if they would respond. If I get anything back I will share it on this forum.cheers,George B.

Thanks for all the help! After going back and starting fresh I added the ATIS and all of the other frequencies for my airport with APT2.6/153... I then went into AFCAD and verified the frequencies, added other runway info and "Volla"! Now my weather and all other communications work fine... The weather is not specific to my airport but is generated from a real airport 10 miles away... Close enough for me...I haven't looked into the ICAO entry yet as I wasn't aware it existed... Have to check that out for sure...Many thanks again!!!

Mtnred,Where you able to also create a ATIS for the airport?cheers,George B.