Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

Autogen Question

First of all, my post was premature. I forgot to change some parameters in Annotator. But there is a question in order. It appears that Autogen is excluded on the Approach path to my runways. Trees and buildings show up fine except for a rectangular path that extends from the runway. The second picture's red box shows the area that the Autogen is excluded. Is there a built in exclude that I don't know about? Has anyone experienced this? It is happening on the other end of my airport near the other runways. It is not just this particular place.Disregard the first picture.Thanks!

exclude bgls will exclude autogen. Do you have an exclude in place?B

I've seen that happening quite a few times, too, and certainly without me placing any exclude switches anywhere.I think, that maybe MS included the "remove autogen" feature to reduce the amount of work needed to place an airport somewhere in the terrain (for MS's own use, I mean), by automatically removing the autogen along RWY approach paths. That would be similar to their practice of letting flattening polys (including the one hard-coded into a RWY object) shift the terrain around thousands of feet outside the actual flattened area, to avoid "hole-in-the-ground" runways...But that's essentially just my guess; anyone who knows for sure?Best,/Bj

Driving my little van around slopes I noticed that if I went down a slope i would accelerate and up a slope would slow down. All that would be required then would be a hardening attribute to the polygon and you have a sloping runway. I bet you could make grass runways like that. It would be great for bush flying where there are a lot of uncontrolled airports. Of course I doubt it would work for large airports because of all that electronic stuff like ILS etc.. Though it might be fun to just give it a try.If you notice, some buildings will sink into the ground on sloping terrain. I adjusted for this in my Santa Barabara Mission scenery.So, constructing an object where you only have the scenery draw the sloping top and then sink it into the ground. Other considerations would be to deal with the sim thinking the aircraft had just hit a building.To do this to 22,000 airports would take 6 years and that's why MS makes runways perfectly flat.Most of this is conjecture on my part but I wanted to illustrate that sloping runways are not impossible.

That's interesting stuff.... I've tried to create sloping runways too, and in principle it's very easy:Just lay a string of ground polygons, laid such that they follow the terrain. Then texture them with the runway textures that MS uses, cutting out the part of texture you actually want, based on the alpha channels for the multitexturing, and taking care to use the "runway end"-part of the texture for the runway ends.In practice, it's prohibitively tedious I think; I gave up on that when I then flattened another area a couple thousand feet away and the terrain-shifting totally wrecked my carefully laid down rwy... The concept I'd like to use for sloping runways is some kind of decals-based approach, but I don't know nothing about that stuff... Oh well :)Best,/Bj

Guest Hickup4695

Greetings, I am wanting to use the autogen functions but I can't seem to find the files to edit for the specific area. Where do I find these? I noticed that in the MS Niagra Falls tutor that file was in the texture file for that particular scenery but Lets say I want to do around my local airport KMKL, where would one find that file to edit? Thanks for any helpDavid

You use the Autogen SDK. There's a tool called "Annotator" that lets you open a particular terrain bmp file and add buildings and vegetation. Check out the SDK. It's very simple to do.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest Hickup4695

Yes, thank you and I have all that my question next then is, how do you know the particular terrian bmp file for a particular airport? Where is this file located? I understand the sdk just don't know where to find this terrain bmp file and especially for the particular airport. Are there certain files for a given airport and if so where are they to be found please. Thank you for your reply.David

Ah, there's the rub! The SDK specifically states that you can't use annotator to modify the default autogen for the built-in generic textures. You are limited, if you want to think of it that way, to editing autogen for custom terrain textures. Usually most of us acquire those through creating and resampling them ourselves, so it's just a matter of browsing through the textures in your scenery folder for the right one. If you need to change autogen for someone else's *custom* terrain textures, you'll have to browse the texture bmps manually to locate them.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit