Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeEppright

Convert Api's into Gmax?

Guest Airprox

Hello all,I'm new to this forum, although I think I will be making regular appearances here! Having heard rumours that FS2004 is only going to be compatible with Gmax produced objects, I've decided to try and learn GMAX. Like most people, Ive been put off by all the jargon, and apparent complexity of it all, but, I think I shall have to bite the bullet, and commit some time to learning from scratch.Anyway, your all probably waiting for me to ask where all the tutorials are, don't worry, I did a search and have found what I need, I think. My question is that in the past I have created custom macros using EOD, and in fact these macros have taken longer to buid than the actual construction of the scenery, Sooo... is there any way to convert an Api into a Gmax model, or import (<- ohhh, technical term!) it's basic form into Gmax and then tweak it? Or am I going to have to face facts that I am going to have to rebuid from scratch?Any help is appreciatedAlun

G'day AlunSorry mate I dont think there is any way you can import api's into gmax - you will have to create the objects from scratch. Even so, gmax is soooo good to use to create objects (100 times better than EOD, which is what I used to use aswell.), some of the modelling tools are fantastic, and the framerates are sooo much better aswell.CheersJarrad

Guest Airprox

Jarrad,Oh Bugger! I thought that would be the case, unfortunately the macros that I am talking about are custom oil platforms, made to represent each individual oil platform in the North Sea... thank God I've only done 10 of them so far! Oh well, I'm half way through printing out the Gmax tutorials (run out of ink!), guess I'll start learning.Thanks for the responseAlun

We need gmax classes! Similar to the Photoshop classes you often see advertised! Good Tutorials are hard to find, most out there digress a lot and lose the attention of the student. There should be a CD that's similar in style to the one that comes with Photoshop 7.Some that I've come across have been extremely juvenile, not gmax necessarily but 3D modeling in general.Many of us get to build our objects but hit a brick wall when it comes to laying the textures. Therin lies the problem because in gmax textures are projected not unlike a slide projector casting an image upon the screen!Those that can, don't and those that cannot do, teach!

Guest Airprox

"Teach me Obi Wan, your my only hope!"Great idea, I've played around this afternoon and completed the first tutorial, and even gone off on my oen and created a basic oil platform, althought not to any particular plan. Well chuffed! Funny enough I thought, "how do I add textures?".A lot of the Questions that are coming to my mind are covered in some way in the tutorials, but it would be nice just to have them explained in relation to flight sim; I'm not interested in creating a green head with big ears!Anyway, I shall perservere and see what happens, expect lots of cries for help in the coming months!CheersAlun

Guest MikeEppright

I'm a bit behind in scenery technology. If only GMAX objects may work with future generations of FS, then what design utility does one use to place and collect a group of GMAX objects?Mike Eppright

Mike,One answer is, creating objects using Gmax then after exporting them using: Middleman and the newest Makemdl.exe program, then using a tool called RSREGEN. What happens briefly to give you a flavor...export the Gmax source file into the RSREGEN directory. start RSREGEN. Then choose the file name you exported (it will have a ".asm" extention appended to it).Process the objects in this file (it is a long story....you must download and install the RSREGEN packages to get the whole picture).Then after processing the "file_name.asm" file, save it as a new asm type file AND THEN SAVE IT AS A "api" type file. Then one copies the newly re-processed "file_name.bgl" file to their FS2K2ADDON SCENERYScenery directory, and copies the newly created macro file to let us say Airport210 or FS Scenery Creator Dirs, WHERE one can place the macro anywhere they want.There is a lot of steps involved here. I cannot write a document describing all the required steps, but if you want to give it a shot as many of us have done with complete success.Download the BASIC RSREGEN package found at:http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.htmlCarefully read the documents on installing it. Then download the newest release, and say the two Documents titled "Lakes/Decals".Then after fully upgrading the RSREGEN package.Go to: http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK00.asp Andlook through the list of download SDK's called MakeMDL. Go to thispage, and download and unzip/install the latest MakeMdl.exe program.This makemdl.exe will replace your original makemdl.exe found in the GmaxPlugins directory. RENAME THE ORIGINAL TO SAVE IT JUST IN CASE,prior to putting the new makemdl.exe in this folder.Now you must locate the newest BGLC.exe tool, cannot remember on the fly where it is found. It may just be included in the newer RSREGEN packages, if not, ask on this forum where to find the lastest bglc.exe tool. After finding and and downloading it, place it into the RSREGEN main directory.Go to http://www.cue-stom.com/fsim/html/index.shtml .....and download the newest MIDDLEMAN package. After carefully reading the Middleman document......you will have to RENAME a file contained in your GMAXModules directory called makemdl.exe (the one you just downloaded from the Microsoft SDK site, and putting the makemdl.exe that comes with Middleman download into the GmaxPlugins dir.In short, the Middleman tool ( a modified version of makemdl.exe will be used by Gmax when you do your exporting.....and the output of the Middleman version of makemdl.exe will then pipe it's output through the official Micorsoft makemdl.exe which you RENAMED TO BE makem.exe.OK Mike, if you have followed me this far. At that point I believe you have downloaded and installed all required packages to enable you to design things in Gmax that then can be recompiled in RSREGEN as a macro file. The documentation for Middleman and RSREGEN is accurate enough in that the docs explain EXACTLY IN DETAIL THE STEPS YOU MUST TAKE IN ORDER TO GET THE PACKAGES INSTALLED CORRECTLY.Once the above steps are taken, read the RSREGEN user document to learn how to create macro files from export Gmax asm files.LASTLY. Do go to ARNO's site and read about RSGEN etc..The bottom line is that you must download and install/copy in some cases the following packages/standalone programs in their proper place, and do a rename file on the makemdl.exe. Then you will have full capabilities to create and use 'reusable macro files" in Airport260 and other Scenery Generator tools that use scasm coded files for scenery.Hope this rather long winded answer helps you understand that the above is the standard way at present, to create macros short of scratch building them by writting the scasm code using a text editor.Cheers,George B.

Whoops,The following is incorrect...."you will have to RENAME a file contained in your GMAXModules directory called makemdl.exe (the one you just downloaded from the Microsoft SDK site, and putting the makemdl.exe that comes with Middleman download into the GmaxPlugins dir."I meant to say.............GMAXPlugins.........Sorry,George B.

Guest MikeEppright

Thanks, It'll take a bit to digest this but it has been properly recorded for future disection.Mike Eppright:-)