Sign in to follow this  

Decode all sections of a BGL

Guest Pittsburgh

Hello All, First of all, bear in mind that I am a complete newbie when it comes to scenery design :-) Question: Are there any tools available (preferably with source code) to loop through a BGL-file and dump all the section contained in it? Basically what I need is all the coordinates of polygons contained in the BGL. I have looked at the Scenery SDK for FS2000 (don't think the SDK for 2K2 has been released yet) but did not come up with anything.Any help is appreciated... With thanks in advance :-waveLevEKCH

There is a free BGL decompiler called SCDIS located at www.freesc.org. It deals with much of the older BGL files and has no Terrain Model File capability. But still, it's a pretty good tool for learning how the BGL works. It decompiles into SCASM code.To answer your question is a difficult one. If you mean polygons that are placed down on surfaces like runways, taxiways, ramps or the airport polys defined in older versions of FS, then SCDIS might be able to help you. You need to know how the BGL defines polygons to get the actual coordinates. SCASM code can help with this too.To get the coordinates of polygons of general terrain, well, your answer is no. Were still working on how they are defined in the new BGL files.Lee.

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Lee, Thanks for your reply. It seems that I am a bit lucky as I am not interested in the terrain. My goal is to be able to present BGL-content in 3D. I have looked a bit at both SCASM and SCDIS. Since my goal is to present the BGL visually, it is a bit cumbersome to first disassemble the BGL then parse it such that I can finally present it. So, what I need is info on the structure of the binary BGL (as opposed to the disassembled BGL), preferably some source code if some has info and is willing to share.With thanks in advance :-waveB. LevPS. I posted this one earlier but must have pressed the wrong button because the original reply does not show. :-boom

FS2002 displays the BGL in 3D.There really isn't anything that does that.A lot of work has been done here & there but nothing in the direction you or I want.The brief is this:A program/plug-in whereby upon hot keying an object, one could learn its properties and edit it, including deletion, or moving said object.Sort of a reverse Lago SE.