Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

Adding widely-spread scenery items. Feasible? In-Sim?

Well, I guess that subject line isn't all that informative, but it was the best I could do to convey everything in summary form.The Explanation:I fly mostly VFR in the Dreamfleet Archer. I use Sectionals. In fact, I display them with my current location noted using FSFlightMax. A lot of the time, there are things noted like "buildings" or "oil field" or "factory" or whatever, but (quite understandably) nothing is there in FS. I wonder if it's possible to go in and create scenery that consists ONLY of those select 3d objects, which are very widely scattered around, and if it's then possible to have that "add-on object collection" displayed by Flight Simulator right along with all the underlying stuff... That is, the default terrain (or whatever add-on mesh you have), the default buildings or whatever add-on sceneries you have, then have this "extra building" database added on top of that.Is such a thing possible?Finally, I recall reading something about a "drop items in sim" method of adding 3d objects to the Flight Sim world. This would be ideal for me, since I could be right over an area noted on the Sectional, and BAM...drop in the required item (assuming I have a model for it). I figure I could spend several weeks or months learning the ins and outs of modern FS scenery design to find out if this is possible, or simply ask those of you who already have the expertise. If it's feasible, and if it's possible to do in the method I've described, I may just get myself involved. Would be nice to have a series of "VFR Packs" that contain specific objects noted on Sectional charts that aren't in the default scenery.Thanks for any opinions.--Tony

Yes, this can be done. If you have made some objects that can represent these common objects, you can place them where you want.I don't think you can do it from the sim, only Lago's scenery enhancer has that option, but I don't like that programs as it can not create BGL files. To view the scenery the other user also needs to buy the program.But when you just record the coordinates you can very easy place the objects on the right spot. I think with the placement tool from the effect SDK you could even do it using some form of Excel sheet with all coordinates and parameters (when you use a object library for the objects).Hope I didn't confuse you too much :)Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Nope! It was completely understandable! Thanks for clarifying the bit about the Lago add-on (that is the one I remembered). If it's as easy as noting coordinates and editing a text file (then generating a BGL) I'm certainly up for giving it a try. I am comfortable modelling, so learning GMax probably shouldn't be that much more of a learning curve...(used everything from LightWave to Blender in the past!). I'll check and see if there are already freely-usable items around, too.Thanks, Arno.--Tony

Guest GerrishGray

Yup! Find or design your objects, convert them into a library using FSRegen, and it's easy to write an API macro to place them using Airport, or I could write an SCM macro for you that you could compile direct with SCASM once you had added the Lat/Lon coordinates. You can also use the BGLPlacer tool to place the objects, but there are some problems with that as you will see from a separate thread on this forum.RegardsGerrish