Sign in to follow this  

Mapping more than one texture

HelloI wonder if any one can tell me how to map more than one texture to the same shape. Every time I try to map a second texture for the same shape, for example, a cube, I loose my previous mappings for texture one...Any thoughts?Thanks

Hi there "Fly high" 1st what program are you using? then I may be able to help you but from your question it sounds like you are using gmax right?. If you are then what you have to do is,1st make sure your object is converted to a editable mesh 2nd go to "sub object level" and then choose pollygon then select the polly(s) you want to map your texture to, then go to the U.V. editor select either "mapping" or "unwrap UVW"( the first is recomended for a simple planar oject like a box) and apply your texture. Ifyou do not do the above the program thinks you want to mapp the same texture to the whole object. Hope this is of some help.

Like Dan I will assume you are using GMax :).I am not complete sure what is your problem. Are you having trouble adding a second texture to your object? I have had this before, when I tried to add a second texture to my object on a specific polygon, the entire object got that texture. My solution is: first make sure that the object is converted to editable mesh. Then click on the polygon icon in the select part of the properties of the object, select the polygon(s) you want to have the other texture and then just drag it onto it.And if you have done that correct and the problem is in the mapping. Make sure you use or collapse all after each step, or add a mesh select modifier each time, as the mapping is applied to the last selection. So if you change that to another polygon, it will ruin your mapping.Hope this helps,Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Dan,Yes, thank you for your answer, I am using Gmax and trying to do just a single cube mapped with 2 different textures.Do I have to select all textures first using the material editor?I am sure I am missing an step here, can't get it work yet...Thank you for your help>Hi there "Fly high" 1st what program are you using? then I >may be able to help you but from your question it sounds >like you are using gmax right?. If you are then what you >have to do is,1st make sure your object is converted to a >editable mesh 2nd go to "sub object level" and then choose >pollygon then select the polly(s) you want to map your >texture to, then go to the U.V. editor select either >"mapping" or "unwrap UVW"( the first is recomended for a >simple planar oject like a box) and apply your texture. If >you do not do the above the program thinks you want to mapp >the same texture to the whole object. >> Hope this is of some help.

Nope (you can only apply one texture at a time) what you have to dois select part of the model by going into "sub object mode" this allows you to select only the parts you want to work on. I will go over it once more for you as it can be hard to get by the U.I. 1stclick on the model then select "convert to editable mesh" by right clicking (from the fly out menu) this will then allow you to select(edit) parts of your mesh. Next look over on the right hand side of your screen for "selection" and choose in this case polygon and then click on one side of you model and that poly should turn red to show you it's selected now apply your texture and then(very important)re-select convert to editable mesh to "lock" your mapping to the model. Hope this helps Dan

Hi Dan,Thank you very much for your help, it finally helped me to get the textures as I wanted. I have also another question, I think I read this somewhere in the forum, how do I proceed to map inside the cube? Do I have to name my texture as DS_xxxx.bmp ?Thanks,Eric>Nope (you can only apply one texture at a time) what you >have to do >is select part of the model by going into "sub object mode" >this allows you to select only the parts you want to work >on. I will go over it once more for you as it can be hard to >get by the U.I. 1st >click on the model then select "convert to editable mesh" by >right clicking (from the fly out menu) this will then allow >you to select(edit) parts of your mesh. Next look over on >the right hand side of your screen for "selection" and >choose in this case polygon and then click on one side of >you model and that poly should turn red to show you it's >selected now apply your texture and then(very important) >re-select convert to editable mesh to "lock" your mapping to >the model. >>> Hope this helps > Dan

Hi Eric,When you start the material name with ds_ then it will become double sided. You can use any texture name you like on it.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog