Sign in to follow this  

Aligning Taxiway Lights

When I designed scenery with ASD 2.1, I used the "lines" function to lay out taxiway lighting along taxiways and polygon areas. Although tedious, this approach allowed precise positioning of taxiway lights and seemed to give a better appearance than just assigning taxiways to be lit by default. Using lines also allowed me to place taxiway lights along polygons that I created adjacent to taxiways ( ie: using a polygon to make a sweeping turn area off of a taxiway and have the taxiway lights follow the turn... see jpg picture attached ) Is using the "lines" function the only way to place taxiway lights precisely ? I've noticed that in products such as the Airport 2000 series and in some other third party sceneries, the designers were able to precisely place taxiway lights. Is this all done in coding or am I missing an easier way to do this ? I realize that I will have to switch to another design program since ASD does not work with FS2002. Thanks for any suggestions. Steve G

Hey. I have ASD2.1 too, but haven't used it since I made FS98 sceneries. If you wanna spend money, you could get Architect 2002. Some will say you're better off getting Airport for Windows or FSSC or GroundMaker. Another comercial program is SCC, Schiratti Command Center. This last one can also edit the AI taxi and stuff, like you do in AFCAD. But here's what you wanna know and as far as I know:Airport for Windows:I have the latest 2.9 Build 26 version. With this you can make taxilines like they are in FS2002 in terms of line color and width using the lines command as in the menu there is a centerline and edge lines feature. Another way would be to use the road command, using a texture for the color. Architect 2002:With this one you can either use the taxiline plugin available at the product's website or use a road like in Airport. FSSC:I don't use it so I have no idea.Ground Maker:I don't use it so I have no idea.SCC:I don't use it so I have no idea.