Sign in to follow this  

MakeMdl error, FS Terrain Calc

Hello all, this is my first post here, although I've been looking at other people's messages for a few days. My first question is about a frusterating problem with makemdl and gmax. I've been using the version of makemdl that came on the FS2002 CD, and that has been working fine. However, I just made a custom rumway with gmax, and I'm trying to get rid of the shadows and flickering using Arno's method of editing the .asm file and then using bglc to compile the bgl file. The CD version of makemdl does not have the option "keep files" so I tried using the version that came with the makemdl sdk. Now the "makedmdl not found" error comes up in gmax when I try to export. What am I doing wrong? Should I use a diffent version of Makemdl? My gmax scene consists of two planes, one 800x125 feet, the other 700x40 feet. Are they too big for gmax to export? Here is my error log:Running modelStart! (C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002CorningElmiraSceneryRunway)Loading X C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002CorningElmiraSceneryRunway...Processing...Model units are 2.00 units/meterSorting by Material...Optimize Parts...Welding...Generate BGL...Done!WARNING: radius is too big for crash dataGenerate crash tree 1 (56 bytes) Assembling: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002CorningElmiraSceneryRunway.azmC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002CorningElmiraSceneryRunway.asm(30) : error A2071: initializer magnitude too large for specified size SCALE_AGL(6): Macro Called From C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002CorningElmiraSceneryRunway.asm(30): Include FileError!I can't understand all the technical garble. What does "radius is too big for crash data" and "initializer magnitude too large for specified size" mean?!Hopefully my last question is a little more easy to answer. I want to make some photoreal scenery, but I can't find FS terrain Calculator. I found rhumbaflappy's link, but my computer just comes up with a "this page cannot be displayed" message when I click on the link. Is there any other location I can download it from? Or can I make the scenery without it?Thanks In Advance, Ryan the Glidiator (glider + gladiator) I just soloed for the first time at the Harris Hill Soaring Club last Monday!

Not sure of the answer to the first question, but to the second, the latest alpha builds of FSRegen come with Christian Stock's TMF Calculator, if that's what you're talking about.-Bill Womack

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

glidiator,I had the same problem when I was trying to export a terminal building. The radius too big for crash data is some stupid thing that I don't think is harming your export. In fact a lot of people will tell you that they disable errors or crashes when exporting. You can do that in the options checkbox area. The other thing about the intializer magnitude is something that needs attention. gMax or MakeMDL (I don't know which one - I guess MakeMDL) will only export things up to a specific size. I can't remember the specific number in meters, but it is huge! There is no need to export something that big. I had to send my asm files from gMax to Georgio who then looked at them manually and adjusted a couple of things and sent me back a bgl. I then loaded it in FS and found that the terminal building was bigger that a city and about a mile or two high! It ends up that my units were wrong in gMax. I don't know how it happened because I exported the same model fine a day before all my troubles started. Anyway, it boils down to this: Make sure that your units are set to meters in both the Preferences and Customize Units dialogues. This solved my problems and I have never had any trouble since then.As per the FS terrain Calc, I don't know where to get it other than that link. You don not have to have it. You can just as well write your own inf file for the resample.exe program. It will just take a bit more learning. Not a lot. Look in the TerraBuilder forum and look for Bob Bernstien. He's a good source for info.Hope this helps

Thanks for the help! My runway problem is fixed, now I'll check out the tutorials you mentioned.

>Hopefully my last question is a little more easy to answer. >I want to make some photoreal scenery, but I can't find FS >terrain Calculator. I found rhumbaflappy's link, but my >computer just comes up with a "this page cannot be >displayed" message when I click on the link. Is there any >other location I can download it from? Or can I make the >scenery without it? It seems that FS Nordic IP address cannot be found from any DNS - they have had that problem for few days. Anyway, if you like to download that file there, I suggest that you'll add following line to your hosts file:195.238.223.163 www.fsnordic.net fisd.fsnordic.netHosts file is located in:*nix: /etc/hostsWindows 95/98/Me: c:windowshostsWindows NT/2000/XP Pro: c:winntsystem32 driversetchostsWindows XP Home: c:windowssystem32driversetchostsIf this does not work, send email to FS Terrain Calc's author: jari.kaskelin@luukku.com- Jussi

Thanks, I might try that, for now I'm going to try to use terrabuilder instead of doing it by hand.