Sign in to follow this  

Queries about FS2002 scenery

Hi everyone,I am currently designing the scenery for Malta International Airport, an I have a few questions that I'd like to ask...1. When constructing an object in gmax and it consists of several parts, does it improve frame-rate if you attach all the parts of the object together, or doesn't it make any difference if you leave all the parts as separate objects?2. When saving bmp texture files, what is the difference between dxt1 and dxt3?3. What happens exactly when creating mip-maps (using Image Tool), and what is the effect on FS?Thanks and regards to all,Daniel

Hi Daniel,>1. When constructing an object in gmax and it consists of >several parts, does it improve frame-rate if you attach all >the parts of the object together, or doesn't it make any >difference if you leave all the parts as separate objects? I don't think it makes a difference. When you export with the optimize option turned on, the exporter will make one big points table for all parts, so that is the same as when you join them together.>2. When saving bmp texture files, what is the difference >between dxt1 and dxt3? dxt1 has a 1 bit alpha channel, dxt3 has 4 bit. This means that dxt1 can only have fully transparant or not transparant, while you can have different levels of transprancy with dxt3. Most normal textures can thus be saved as dxt1 (gives smaller files).>3. What happens exactly when creating mip-maps (using Image >Tool), and what is the effect on FS? The mipmaps are smaller versions of the texture that are included. FS uses these from further away and because they are smaller it increases the performance (or should at least :)).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,thanks very much for your help.Regards Daniel