Sign in to follow this  

Problem with shimmering textures

Hi, I have made an airfield perimeter fence, using a texture with transparency, but in FS the fence appears to "shimmer" a lot. Can this effect be avoided?Thanks,Daniel

Guest GerrishGray

Hi DanielThe shimmering effect is caused by 'aliasing' and occurs with all high-definition textures/objects using transparency or sharp light/dark lines or patterns. The effect can be minimised by making sure that you have Anti-Aliasing turned on (either in the FS Hardware Display settings, or in your 3D graphics control utility), but is difficult to eliminate entirely. This is why MS tend to use such blurry textures by default - it avoids problems with aliasing!It causes terrible problems with winter versions of trees, as well as fences, and can also be a problem with contrasting patterns of light and dark on building textures!RegardsGerrish

Hi Gerrish,Thanks for your reply.The anti-aliasing is turned on, but i still get the shimmering effect. Actually the shimmering shows when the fence is viewed at an angle, not faced directly. What I've noticed is that when using transparent textures, MIP mapping does not have any effect on the texture.Regards,Daniel