Sign in to follow this  

Gmax and MakeBGL

Perhaps my post didn't have enough information the first time but this seems like the place to inquire. Im not a programmer but enjoy the opportunity to make small changes in fs2002. Having learned how to place new and more interesting planes in my fs2002 program, moving on to changing the scenery seemed like the next logical step.Downloaded Microsofts gmax scenery tutorial and did fine until I got to converting *.gmax files to .BGL files. The Export selection will not highlite. And I did read that downloading gmax from the web will not allow this process. But I used the gmax program that came with my fs2002 program tho' the tutorial was downloaded. The MakeBGL program looks for an .x file and I have no idea what that is. But my "ourhouse.gmax" can't be exported and placed on the globe unless the opportunity to export it is available and at this point in time, it ain't working. Or is there a work around by using the .asm program to convert to .BGL or something like that?Remember, what is obvious to you may not be obvious. So have a little patience with this newbee.Raymond

Hi Raymond,You should install the exporter (the MakeMDL part that came on the FS CD) in the GMax folder. Then you can export from GMax by clicking on the export link.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Ditto Raymond! Read the Readme.rtf from your fs2002 folder. It tells you how to install the GMax Gamepack. Also, if you can download the ver 1.1 of GMax. It sounds like you already registered ver 1.0 but if anything happens to it, Discreet will only register ver 1.1 in the future.

Guest Firestriker

In order to export from gWax you MUST put a file named FSModelExp.dle in your plugings folder. This is the converter that actually creates the *.X file which is then processed by Makemdl.exe in to either a *.mdl or *.bgl file. FSModelExp.dle is ONLY avalible from the FS2002pro install and is the actual "gamepak".

Drum roll please--du dum.To Firestriker:Yes, perhaps you saw the obvious part in my request. Yes, in the gamepak it has two files. Yes, the instructions from the tutorial made it quite clear you must put the makeMDL.exe in the plugins folder so I even made a folder called "plugins folder" but for some reason that didn't do:-( Out of desperation I decided that I might need to ask for some advice since the tutorial made it quite clear the makeMDL.exe had to be placed in the gmax plugins folder. :-hmmm This must be a cosmic type of punishment for not giving money to pbs, the house was built with the english system (rather than using metric) with grid lines spaced at 18 inches centered, perhaps the metric community was conspiring to prevent this addition to the map.No, the obvious, in that the gamepak or rather: gmax-Flightsim-plugins-has not just one file but two, yes, two files and the FSModelExp.dle is the one that makes the difference. So in my gmax app the export selection is a choice. So this is my way of saying thank-you. Of course we still need to understand lat. and long. but heck that shouldn't be hard.RayPS FYI, and this may not interest you in the slightest; after reading about LODs etc, I was able to make a simple formula for determing how many squares each increment would yield. The formula goes like this:LOD "n" = (3) * (2^2n+1)So if n = 0 (LOD0); 3 time 2 to the 0 + 1 power equals 6ix, or if n equals 2 (LOD2) then 3 times 2 to the 4 + 1 power (3*2^5) and that equals 96.:-beerchug :-beerchug :-beerchug :-beerchug :-beerchug