Sign in to follow this  

Custom Terrain Textures

I just read the new MS SDK on "Custom Terrain Textures" and it leaves me asking a bunch of questions.Am I to understand that if I use their method, that it will use the default MS scenery (i.e. runways, roads, airports, navaids, etc...) but replace the standard FS textures with my phototextures? Suppose it does the above mentioned, then how would I go back and add all my hundreds of custom macros? I used Architect 2002 to create all the airports, and to position all the buildings to match the photoscenery but using the "new" method, I would have no idea how to do this. It would be nice if I could do all this using Architect 2002 but I have no idea how to do it.I have a huge custom photoscenery area but it was built using Architect 2002's photosquares. The main problem being a lack of elevation. It's basically a huge 50x50 mile square FLATTENED area -- good thing the area is semi-flat in real life. I'm debating if I should even bother using the new methods or just using Architect 2002 and living with the FS98 quality it generates. Unless there is an easy tool like A2002, it wouldn't be worth my time since my real life flying takes priority :-)Thanks for your continued helpEnrique

Guest odog

hi,the sdk reads like stereo instructions...in japaneese! Im taking this all with a grain of salt, have you loaded the niagra falls sample yet... the airport is over a lake! to be honest im not very happy with the sdk ive been waiting so long for. They are leaving alot out, i think, not surprised at all btw. Stick with what works, i say.odog

Hola Enrique,I do not use Architect, but assume that photosquares are textured polygons. If so, then you would probably get better results in terms of frame rates using the custom textures method in the SDK. The way you are doing it, your graphics card must draw the default ground textures, then the photosquares on top - not good for frame rates.With the resample method, you make custom ground textures from your image that completely replace the default ground textures. The only limitation is the resolution is limited to 4,75 meters per pixel, just like the default textures - too bad! However, the custom textures conform to the existing mesh, so that you do not need a flatten switch or bgl.No need to worry about your custom macros - they will appear in the same place. Custom textures only exclude autogen, and you can add that to the custom textures using the Autogen Annotator.Just recompile your scenery in Architect after removing the photosquares, then create the custom textures using the SDK instructions.Or use any of the front-ends available for the creation of custom ground textures: TerraBuilder by Misho Katulic (who is releasing a new version on September 3 that takes into account the new information in the SDK), FS Resample Tools by Elrond Elvish, or FS Terrain Calc available on the FS Nordic site. All are very easy to use.Best regards.Luis

the sdk just officially acknowledged what some of us have been doing for almost a year....check threads in this forum and the terrabuilder forum on the "resample" method...or "photoreal"....the whole process has been spelled out many times by me, by elrond, by tlassiter....and others