Sign in to follow this  

Bad news or am I wrong ?

I was working on a fence around my airstrip scenery when I found it looks like MakeBGL or FS2K2 has a limitation with polygons/vertex numbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????My fences are made with many lines and my scenery was already very detailed but the sim was working with a good frame rate but after my last Gmax export and BGL compilation only some of my fences were visible. The fences are suddenly not displayed were they are existing in Gmax and the last one to appear is drawned corrupted (some polygons are not drawn at the right place) then nothing more is drawned !!!I made several try by adding more object instead of fences : they are not displayed or displayed corrupted or not at the right position in the scene. I tried to replace my lines used with the faces with polygones just in case but still they are not shown !!! I also make a try and 2 Bgls instead of one ! No difference.But if I removed oobjects or buildings and reduce the polygons number in the scene the fences are appearing. So it seems there is polygon limitation with FS2002 or MakeMDL or the compiler and this limit seems to be 20 000 polygons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Does someone knows more about it or help ????????

Florent,I don't think there's a limit on polygon count when exporting -- or if there is, I'm sure it's higher than 20,000. I've heard of aircraft projects with more polys than that, and nobody is having export issues. I have two thoughts on the matter. The first is that perhaps your FS2002 frame rates are locked too high and the scenry engine is culling some items out in order to keep the frame rates high. Try locking the rates down in the teens just for testing and see if that helps. The second thought is that building a fence with many lines is not a very efficient way of fencing! I'd try making a single fence segment poly and using alpha masking on the textures to achieve the look you're after. I think it'll give you fewer problems.good luck!Bill Womack

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Thanks Bill for your answer.I don't know what to think ! I did many tests and the result is always the same. After 20 000 polygons, the further ones are disapearing ! I can reduce the frame rate but it does not change anything. Anyway this can't be the issue as far as my frame rate has no issue at all.Using a transparent texture with alpha masking is of course a solution to keep my polygons number below 20 000 but it was not the aim and I also still have a lot of object to add and will reach this number anyway. And in my opinion it is not because the standards are to use texture for fences that with the increasing power of computer we can change the rules.Have a look at the screenshot below, it is my fence at the place where it stops displaying. As you can see some of the wires are not shown and one of them is drawned to high. Also, the fence on the left should be linked with the one in the middle !! After, no more Gmax added object are drawned on into FS20002. Even if they are visible in Gmax !!!!!!!!!WHat is the problem ?????I need help !!!