Sign in to follow this  

Photoshop - Pixel Color Changes-large?

I just acquired Photoshop 7.0. I want to take a texture and change every pixel of a certain color to a another color. As an example, I would like to select a specifically colored pixel and then tell Photoshop to change every pixel of that color to another specific color.Thanks,Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

1. Grab the color you want with the eyedropper tool.2. Click your filler tool (unless you've changed your options you'll have to click and hold the gradient tool which is located next to the eraser, and select the Paint Bucket tool) and look at the options bar at the top of the screen. Change the Tolerance level to 0 (zero) and uncheck the Anti-Aliased and Contiguous boxes.3. Now click to fill in the exact area you wanted to replace, and voila, now not only will that pixel be filled with the color, but so will the rest with that exact color value. :-)*** The Contiguous box is the key. If you left that box checked it would only fill the pixel you clicked on.If you're confused let me know :-)

Matt,Thanks for the info. I did the above ok but the fill tool seems to only fill adjacent pixels of the same initial color. It does not fill "all" pixels of that color???? Also, the instructions seem to say that the bucket fill tool is only available in non-bitmap mode.I am trying to change certain colored pixels in an FS2002 texture. Specically, the texture is a forest texture where some of the pixels are too bright for my taste. I want to reduce the luminious a bit only on those pixels. I thought that since each pixel's color is actually a numeric value that ther might be a tool/function that would say to change all of VALUEx to VALUEy. Do I have to convert to a non-bitmap format to do this???Thanks,DickDick

regards,

Saved texture as a Targa file and then used the Bucket. All went ok. It filled all of the targeted pixels with the selected color.Tahks for your help. Another 6 months and I might understand more of Photoshop.Dick

regards,

Yeah make sure you're using a standard format first (bmp, psd, jpg, etc) before doing anything that involves many colors.. some formats distort colors.Also make sure you're in RGB mode... I've been doing some work this weekend with PS7 and realized halfway through the design process that the image was in CMYK color mode and in order to run any filters or effects you'd have to flatten the whole thing...It pays off to make sure everything's in order before starting on a project :-)

I've wanted to know how to do this for about 10 years.You're explanation is so clear! ThanksDo you gMAx?

Heh, wish I did.. last time I tried any gmax'ing was to build a terminal for my home airport and it ended up about the size of the Cessna's wheel pant. :-)I tend to stick more to the graphic/web design arena, that's where I hold most of my talents.. stick with what ya know is what I say. :-)

Depending on what you want to do there are a couple of other ways too. Remember that anything you do will only affect the selected region (if you have one). You can use the 'select colour range' and 'replace colour' tools for doing more subtle changes.For example, to use the select colour range tool bring it up and then move the tolerance down fairly low (to 0 if you want to select just an individual colour). Click on the image and it'll select the pixel you're pointing at and any other areas with the tolerance setting. If it doesn't pick up everything click on the eyedropper with the + on it and gradually pick up colours - this will add them to the selection (it's much better to do this than by using a high tolerance to start with). Click on OK when you're reasonably happy - you can tidy things up a bit if necessary by going into quick mask mode (q) and using normal painting tools for adding and subracting to the selected areas. If you want to only alter part of an image, use the polygonal lasso tool to make a rough selection before going into select colour range.Once you have your selection you'll probably want to hide (ctrl+h) the marching ants to make it clearer to see what's going on. You can then use the adjustment tools - such as hue/saturation, levels, curves or replace colour to modify your selection. In many cases it's wise to do this using an adjustment layer as you can then go back and alter things in the future.If you're working with natural textures, or textures which incorporate shading, where you're not dealing with one exact colour I think you'll find these techniques more powerful than using the paint bucket tool.Have funFinn