Sign in to follow this  

Resample glitch

I'm working on my first set of custom terrain textures for my scenery using the new resample.exe. It's basically a completely made-up texture for my fictitious Bush base, and I got the original image by just taking an overhead screenshot in FS2002 and then painting on the things I wanted to add to the ground. I used Bob Bernstein's great TMF calculator for getting the info required by the inf file, and after a slight amount of fiddling around, I got the numbers right where I wanted them. When I run resample it looks like everything is going great. It progresses as expected, and spits out two LOD13 images, which are cover exactly the area I want, and a bgl file. But when I load this new scenery into FS2002, nothing shows up -- I just get the default textures. I colored mine with a blue tint so I could see where they showed, but no dice. My bgl is 6.71kb, so it looks like there must be some information in it. Anyone have a clue as to how it could seemingly do everything without a hitch, but refuse to display the custom terrain? And be gentle, I'm a real newb at creating terrain.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Sounds like you may not have put the bgl or textures into a scenery or texture sub directory.After you run resample.exe, you get a tmf file...that must be converted to a bgl using tmf2bgl.exe. Then you have to put the bgl in a scenery dir and add that scenery dir to the fs2002 world library.Also the textures from resample.exe will be 193kb bmps, convert them to dxt1 or dxt1 with alpha, and then put those in the texture dir.Hope this helps,Bob B

Hi Bob,I wish it were that simple! I used the new version of resample.exe, which shipped with the new Custom Terrain Textures SDK. It skips the TMF creation step and directly outputs a BGL file. I put that in my test "scenery" folder, with the textures in their corresponding "texture" folder. No dice. I think it's somehow more convoluted than that, which is why I was confused. Thanks for the advice, though.Maybe I'll try the "old" resample tonight and see if I have better luck.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

ya, give that a try...I never tried the new resample, cuz I didn't want to deal with the black border thing....see if it works better using the old. please let us know..B

Okay, this is sending me right around the bend!! I tried using the old resample tonight, and I got just the opposite result I got in the new version. With the old version, I get a TMF file, but no graphics generated. With the new one, I get graphics and a 6.71k BGL file, but when I load it all into FS2002 nothing shows up. I've attached the two LOD13 tiles created and a copy of my INF file. Can someone save me from the nuthouse by telling me what my offense is? I can't figure this out! Here's the body of my INF file:[Destination] DestDir = "." DestBaseFileName = "atrTerrain" BuildSeasons = 0 UseSourceDimensions = 1[source] Type = Custom SourceDir = "." SourceFile = "atranch.bmp" Lat = 55.28319231 Lon = -131.3232222 NumOfCellsPerLine = 264 NumOfLines = 686 CellXdimensionDeg = 5.55556E-05 CellYdimensionDeg = 3.20513E-05http://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/images/atranch.infhttp://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/ima...013133011Su.bmphttp://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/ima...013133013Su.bmpThanks for putting up with this nonsense! I swear I've never had as much trouble in scenery design as when trying to do some simple ground textures. Gaaaaaaaaaaah!

Bill Womack

Guest christian

Did you try the TMFViewer?Christian

Bill, it looks like ur trying to use some of the new stuff...I haven't worked with that stuff much, but I'll bet I can make this work using my methods.post ur source image, and I'll work it up.Bob B

Guest christian

Also, did you process the bitmaps with imagetool?!?Christian

Hi Bob,Thanks for looking at this! I've posted a zip of my inf file and the original source bmp at http://www.spottedantelope.com/bwomack/files/atrTerrain.zip.And Christian, thanks for the comments, too. Yes, I ran the images through imagetool before loading them into FS2002. Not sure if the ones I posted were pre or post processing. BTW, if you use the new resample and don't mip/convert the images, you get a blank gray terrain. Actually, if you're wondering how FS2002 reacts when responding to various designer errors, just ask. I know 'em all now (almost) ;-).thanks again,

Bill Womack

First of all, I'm pretty busy right now, so I've not taken the time to update my methods per the sdks. I'm using the "if it ain't broke" concept, and from what I read about the new resample method, I see very little that is an improvement.So.....running your image thru the fs2000 resample.exe is what I'll report on.Looking at your inf file and your source, its clear that you calculated the lod13 borders and attempted to use the calculated lod grid corner as your nw corner coordinates. then it seems you were shooting for a two grid scenery.I didn't have enough information to know if you had used a two point method to determine your cellxdim and cellydim, yet the numbers certainly looked reasonable, so I used them.first thing is, I confirmed what you had didn't work. I've never attempted to use a grid corner as my nw corner, because the rules say that a grid that is not completely filled will not display, and that could be as simple as roundup error, so I extended your photo by a number of pixels in each dir and just sloppily guessed at a correspondingly more north and more west coord for the nw corner. Now it compiled as I would expect, yet no textures were created.then I wondered if we've reached a lower limit of grids. Rhumbaflappy has written that 4 grids is his finding for the limit. I'd compiled down to one properly (as in this case) but not checked to see if textures were created. So...perhaps Dick is right.So...I extended your image once more, now to 700x800...now textures are created.Conclusions: Using the fs2000 resample.exe, you must give the program some image that goes beyond the nw lod13 grid you want as your first grid, and....the source photo coverage has to be big enough...your's is too small.Hope this helps.Bob Bernstein

Bob,Thanks! Wow, this really shows up some more gaping holes in my understanding of custom terrain creation. I thought you HAD to be exact with your photo, and that it's NW corner had to be the NW corner of the grid you were affecting. No wonder I'm having so much trouble! I couldn't figure out how everyone else but me had the ability to measure the exact pixel that their LOD13 grid corresponded to. Sheesh, now I'm a little embarrased. Say, any way you could shoot me back the INF file you were working from? It might help.So let me get this right... my photo coverage needs to be greater than the LOD13 borders I want to affect. Right? And when specifying the coords of the NW corner in the INF file, I plug in the actual coordinates of the photo's NW corner? And then resample will create the TMF and the graphics, only creating those LOD13 blocks for which I've got full coverage from the source graphic? If this is all true, then I've been making this much harder than it needs to be. thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Bill Womack

< yes, preciselyI played with this only til I could create a texture...so more work is needed to figure out how many grids you want to cover, which will define how much photo to add, but this'll get you going, and now that you better understand the layout of photo, you'll be able to finish learning what you need to. You mentioned my spreadsheet, if I sent you my main sheet with both the lod13 calculator and inf information calculations, you'll note the spreadsheet first calculates the cellxdim, cellydim, and then two different calculations are made, the distance from point 1 to the nearest nw corner of the lod13 grid system, from which you can layout all the grids, while seperately I expect to have the user measure the number of pixels from point 1 to the nw corner.[Destination] DestDir = "C:spot" DestBaseFileName = "atrTerrain" UseSourceDimensions = 1[source] Type = Custom SourceDir = "c:spot" SourceFile = "atranch.bmp" Lat = 55.3 Lon = -131.35 NumOfCellsPerLine = 700 NumOfLines = 800 CellXdimensionDeg = 5.55556E-05 CellYdimensionDeg = 3.20513E-05 ScaleinMeters = 1 SampleIsCentered = 0AGain, remember I only worked on this long enough to proove that textures begin to appear....but we've certainly plugged a hole. Best of luck,B