Sign in to follow this  
henry

What Does Block Altitude mean??

Guest HeavyFan

Hi guy's! I was Just Listning to my scanner last night, and I heard a couple flights get cleared to a block Altitude?? What does this mean?? I heard a Continental Flight leaving my home Airport of PHNL Intl, and the controller said Continental #72 Heavy,cleared to block flight level 320-340.?? And A United flight #863-the controller said Untited #863 Heavy, cleared to flight level 340 block altitude cancelled?? What does this Block Flight Levels mean?? Just curious so i understand it next time I hear them say that! MIKE -:)

I could be wrong here, if so, someone please correct me.I seem to recall that a "block" means that the aircraft is free to change altitude as required between the 2 levels cleared between.David

Guest HeavyFan

Ok I understand now! Thanks for the Info Guy's! MIKE.

As a former center controller we issued block altitudes frequently to aircraft conducting test flights and also military refueling aircraft. And yes, it does give them the block of airspace between and including the altitudes issued. Roger

It also helps with thunderstorm top avoidance and if its a bit bumpy we are free to fly in the "block" at any smooth altitude we find.Hornit

Ever work MSP?Ever get razed at work (center) ala' Airplane!?bt

If I need a block clearance for turbulence reasons, it's because theturbulence is such that I can no longer guarantee that I'll be able tohold altitude at all times. Usually I'm having no trouble holdingaltitude, just can't guarantee it. So, whether ATC can provide a blockclearance becomes a bit moot ... I don't take "no" for an answer, justadvise "unable to hold altitude" and they can vector me off-course if they need to...henry cyxt