Sign in to follow this  

using avsim fs scenery creator

First, Is this the right forum for fssc?Second, If it is, why after picking fs2002 under preference do you only get the one choice of "transparent" for ground texture under synthetic scenery?Third, after making a .scn file and clicking on the export wizard the program says "The specified scenery compiler was not found on your system." So I moved the BGCL.exe into the same folder but it still wouldn't compile. Then I tried just draging to the compiler and that didn't work either. Any suggestions would be appreciated?Ray:-newbie

OK, the fssc download includes SCASM (tho' I wento the website and downloaded it anyways), so I moved it (scasm.exe) into the fssc folder and and tried the wixard again--nothing happened. Then I tried changing my *.scn file into a *.txt file dragging it to txt2asm.exe and got at least a *.asm file. Then dropped it on the BGL.exe file but nothing came up. Tho' I noticed when doing this with BGL.exe and scasm.exe a brief dos file shows a program has run there is no *.bgl file to show.:-( I'll try the other forum also to see if someone can come up with something.Thanks

First, FSSC uses SCASM, using BGLC is useless. In the preferences (Tools -> Preferences) there is a tab locations where you can set where the compiler (scasm.exe) is located.After that you should be able to export without problems by clicking on the export of export wizard option.And about the tiles, it is correct that these are not used anymore in Fs2002, that's why they are set to transparant. Those are only for Fs5/Fs98 sceneries. Since Fs2000 the tiles have been replaced by mesh scenery.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

On the other forum it was suggested I hit the default since my preferences are probably screwed up, which doesn't answer the question. :-grr So I gave more specific examples of the preferences I selected and have included them here. BTW the pop ups on that forum are incredibly annoying and besides I have had better luck using this forum.Preferences-Settings-Flight Simulator ver-Flight Simulator 2002 Preferences-Locations-(Item)FS Folder-(Location)...Microsoft gamesFS2002Preferences-Locations-(Item)Texture Folder-(Location)...FS2002TEXTURE Preferences-Locations-(Item)Scenery Compiler-(Location) ...FSSCSCASMscasm.exe The place where I really don't understand the overall process is when the Export Scenery Wizard pops up. First, there is a base location where these files will go and since I am trying to use the tutorial and add a fictitious airport I have the path set to ...fs2002SCENEDBAFDFILESSCENERY. Second, from the one file I was working on there are three files listed to be exported a bmp file for the runway texture called grass.r8 (unchecked); McKirk.bgl (checked) and McKicrk_AFD.bgl (checked).And when I go to the ...FS2002SCENEDBAFDFILESSCENERY the files in that folder have been exported and changed by the scasm.exe file from McKirk.scn to McKirk.sca and McKirk_AFD.sca. :-bla So the scasm.exe file is working but only half the job has been done, they need to become .bgl files and I still get the "specified scenery compiler was not found on your system" error message. Again, I am not a programmer and am new to this. It seems there is a sequence of events and only one half the sequence is working. Am I correct in assuming that these files must become Mc*.bgl files and if so what or how is this done?RayPS Arno, after rereading the tutorial it does make it clear that the synthetic scenery doesn't work with the later models of fs, but they didn't make it quite so clear as you did, that is: tile scenery is changed to mesh scenery.:-sun1

>Preferences-Settings-Flight Simulator ver-Flight Simulator >2002 >Preferences-Locations-(Item)FS >Folder-(Location)...Microsoft gamesFS2002 >Preferences-Locations-(Item)Texture >Folder-(Location)...FS2002TEXTURE >Preferences-Locations-(Item)Scenery Compiler-(Location) >...FSSCSCASMscasm.exe This looks OK to me.>The place where I really don't understand the overall >process is when the Export Scenery Wizard pops up. First, >there is a base location where these files will go and since >I am trying to use the tutorial and add a fictitious airport >I have the path set to ...fs2002SCENEDBAFDFILESSCENERY. This is a bit tricky. Depending on what you select in the wizard the exporter makes a new scenery directory for you most of the time. So you can best specify the base scenery folder there (something like Fs2002SceneryMyScenery).>Second, from the one file I was working on there are three >files listed to be exported a bmp file for the runway >texture called grass.r8 (unchecked); McKirk.bgl (checked) >and McKicrk_AFD.bgl (checked). That's correct. It will list all the texture used, most of the times they are there already and don't need to be copied to the texture folder (so it is unchecked). The two BGL files contain the scenery. McKirk.bgl contains almost all the scenery, while the McKirk_AFD.bgl contains the AFD data (so startup locations for the menu, etc).>So the scasm.exe file is working but only half the job has >been done, they need to become .bgl files and I still get >the "specified scenery compiler was not found on your >system" error message.If the preferences are set correct it should work. Maybe you can better try to reinstall FSSC to get all the messed up settings right (don't forget to backup your work first of course).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Ray, I'm a big fan of fssc, and still you learn to take these kind of problems as par for the course, as the program is provided for free.I got a bit screwed up by the exporter also, I never knew that it created its own, "scenery" folder, so I ended up with my custom scenery never receiving the new bgl, because it ended up in a SUB folder called scenery, like E:bowermansceneryscenery.....oops.What I do in a situation like this is name the file something that is absolutely unmistakeable, and then compile, and then use "find files" to find it....in any doubt, bring up that location in explorer and check last modified date and time. Once you see where its going, it should be clear what to do.good luck,Bob B

>I got a bit screwed up by the exporter also, I never knew >that it created its own, "scenery" folder, so I ended up >with my custom scenery never receiving the new bgl, because >it ended up in a SUB folder called scenery, like >E:bowermansceneryscenery.....oops. :-lol I just had the same problem when I first used it (and that is only a few weeks ago). But I must say I think it is a superb program :-lolArno

Arno

OK, uninstalled fssc and reinstalled. Let the wizard have his merry way and it has made a path to: fs2002scenerynewairport(what I am calling the file) which ends up with a subfolder under and the files are there---, let me repeat, they are there but they arn't correct, called newairport.sca, newairport_A16N.sca and newairport_AFD.sca. The same message appears: the specified scenery compiler was not found on your system"I don't think you guys are understanding what I am saying. The process goes thru this SCASM.exe and are changed, compiled, altered, whatever you want to call it but they ain't *.bgl files. This is very similar to when I inquired about why gmax wouldn't show export, until someone mentioned it needed a dynamic library file which is something programmers understand. After that it worked. This is the same thing it would seem. Again, I am not a programmer, so I am only as enlightened as you are willing to share because I am not really trained in this area. Ray

If you set up the properties correct and tell FSSC where SCASM is. And if you are sure that the file SCASM.exe is also in that folder, then you should get the *.sca files in the folder and also the *.bgl files.Otherwise try to compile them by hand using SCASM (from the DOS prompt or so), so you can see if SCASM is working.Arno

Arno

Hi Ray.To test whether SCASM is working with the files, drag'n'drop your SCA or SCN file onto the SCASM Icon! It should compile into the folder you dragged it from.Dick

True, but don't try it with the scn file from FSSC, as that is no SCASM source, so SCASM doesn't like it :).Arno

Arno

Thanks to all,Perhaps getting the full chorus turned the tide but it was just a matter of taking the correct pathway to make the compiler compile.:-cool What was confusing was that the files were being changed into the *.sca format but not the *.bgl. Then I tried dragging and dropping the files onto scasm.exe (which previously worked) and didn't get anything. Then when I brought up the DOS promtp couldn't get cd c: to work, it wouldn't move from the documents directory.And of course I tried using all the scn files, mine, FSSC samples, anything hanging around, and nothing changed. But when I brought up the export wizard there would be some encouragement; a folder, and scenery folder were created along with the *.sca files. But it was about then I decided to make the scene. Or go back to the forum and make a scene. Then I started from scratch again, deleted everything related to fssc and reinstalled, and carefully looked at the locations of everything. And since you all seemed to have been mystified by this program I figured if it baffeled you guys too then there must be a way. So I have been indulging in this new program. Have a mesa in upper Canada that just won't go back to the right level, but it graphically shows what various components do or don't do. And I have another airport with tower, ILS, runway, hangars, etc. but the display ascpect is really screwed up--too much input into scenery perhaps. When I am in cockpit view and hit the W key to have a full screen view (without instruments) some of the panel still remains, never had anything like that happen before.So thanks for the help and encouragement.Raymond ps: the problem was that the scasm file was using the default path which was de fault.:-)