Sign in to follow this  

Changing RAM on a DELL8200 Series??????

Guest HeavyFan

Hi all, I need some info on Changing Ram or I should say upgrading RAM on my new DELL 8200 1.7 GHZ System. I want to put more RAM in, I have 256 now I want it to be 512 MB RAM. But In the Comp book it syas to Change the RAM By Pairs, and I have RDRAM, And if I had to buy two from DELL it would be close to $450 dollars!!!!! DAYUm so Expensive! Why Cannot I just add another 256MB stick Of ram Like I did to my old Comp, Instead I hakf to but them in pairs Now! COMP USA here has the 256MB RDRAM's for $150 Each. now Is this a Ploy by DELL to make lots of money? Or is it true that you half to change this RAM by pairs now?? So all you DELL guy's how did you change the RAM?? I did not open up my system yet to see what it has?? but will soon,So if anyone has feedback about this PLEASE let me know! I would appreciate it! MIKE>P.S.,also where would be a good decent priced place to buy more RAM if I had to buy it in Pairs?? THANKS MIKE.

Guest PhilC

Here's my experience...I had 256Mb RDRAM on my Dell Dimension. I started searching for another 256Mb chip with the same specs as my PC. After failing to find the exact same specs at a decent price, I called Dell and got the exact same 256Mb chip for CHEAPER than I could find it anywhere else. It seems that they gave me a discount of some type for being a Dell customer.My suggestion... start with Dell first.And yes, you can add another chip if the chip in the PC now is 256Mb. If you have two 128Mb chips then you have to buy another pair. There are only two RDRAM sockets. More than likely you have one 256Mb chip in one slot and a terminator in the other. Get your matched 256Mb chip, remove the terminator and plug the new chip in. Easy and quick.

I just upgraded on my Dell 8200 1.7 two weeks ago. The cost for RIMM,256,2x128,800M from Dell Canada was $209.CDN. Approx $140.US. Your system has four slots, remove the two continuity modules and slip in the new memory pair. Voila, 512MB Ram.