Sign in to follow this  
akriesman

Some things come full circle....

Boy, I have spent a good part of the last few months learning and using SCASM, which is a quite a bit different from the SMF object model format used by Fly II (of which I am very familiar).I decided to look at the new floating point BGL Opcodes used by FS2002, which are recommended for new FS200x development (as you know).I was surprised to see that creating a new object using only Floating-Point BGL opcodes, is almost exactly the same as the SMF object definitions used by Fly II. It looks like you could easily take a Fly II SMF object and translate it right into the floating-point BGL opcodes.Go figure. I could have saved a couple of months of work if the Scenery SDK (with the new Opcodes) had come out a little earlier :-(Cheers,Allen

That's a big 10-4 Allen! many people would have saved time by not having to re-invent the weel. I hope you are doing well sir! Dan

Guest GerrishGray

Hi Allen :-wave The floating point commands have actually been implemented in SCASM, and in it's documentation, ever since last Autumn when FS2002 was first released. But I'm not surprised that you missed them - SCASM's documentation is a bit obscure, to say the least, and can be very difficult to learn or work from ... :-hmmm The reason for the similarity of the new commands to those used in other gaming systems is because they are the same native DirectX commands used by many modern graphics engines - so translation should be relaltively straightforward as you say. FS still has lots of little quirks of its own, though, because the Bruce Artwick Organisation Graphics Language has its origins in the late '70s and has grown a bit like Topsy. The next versions of FS will see a lot of the old stuff cut out though so that we can build our models exclusively with the modern methods.Kind RegardsGerrish

Hi Gerrish,Thanks for the info regarding SCASM. I remember Rich (Richard Harvey) mentioning that Fly II changed to the SMF format, because it directly translated to the native Direct X commands. Personally, I have never had a look at the DirectX SDK (OpenGL yes, but DirectX no).Looks like MS is following suit.Cheers,Allen