Sign in to follow this  

FS Design Studio V2 Announced...

Anyone know if the new features they're talking about will help FSDS-created objects to execute as rapidly as those from Gmax? I sure would like that! I've only got a few hours of experience with FSDS, but it struck me as vastly more stable than Gmax. In fact, on my computer I have had the only lockups/total system crashes I've ever had while running Gmax. I'm using Win2000 Professional, one of the strong points of which is supposed to be its reliability, and the inability for one application error to bring down the entire system. Somehow Discreet has found a way around that restriction :-roll. Man, would I ever like to have another option!

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

From my limited understanding, it will depend on whether fsdsv2 writes triangles or continues to use the polygon commands. I read the advertisement, but nothing was said about the code output style. I would write to abacus (louis sinclair used to respond rapidly) and ask whether Draw_Tri will be an output command or not...that should tell you something.btw, sorry bout ur problems with gmax...mine seems to have settled down now that I know where the potholes are. I haven't had a crash in current memory, and the program is performing well for me. All this renders my intest in fsds quite limited, had it come out 6 months ago, that would have been different.Bob B

Hi Bob,I sure would like to correspond with you about how you got Gmax to settle down. I can almost smell the crashes coming now, but I haven't been able to get them to stop. There are some definite no-nos, I understand, but some of the crashes are still random. If you're up for it, I'll drop you a line and detail my current woes.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Bill, I'm always happy to correspond...if its any incentive, I just love working with gmax now. I did invest $20 in a book on 3dsmax...from the "visual learning series"....all of a sudden I was able to do so much more. It took the mystery away from all those buttons I hadn't yet used...and simple things that just never seemed to work, I could look up...and find out that I wasn't supposed to select BOTH of them, just one and THEN push the so and so button...stuff like that.For all I know it may make more sense to invest $29 in the new fsds...who can tell. If fsds writes triangles, its probably a toss up. I like the fact that I could probably sit down with 3dsmax and model, but will I ever really do that? lol Bob B

I know what you mean! I spent a few bucks on a pair of 3DS books a while back, and it's proven to be a good investment. I'd like to think I could model in 3DS Max with little trouble now, and I'd LOVE to do some rendering in it. Just can't seem to get gmax to behave. I'll write you about my woes tonight.

Bill Womack

For what I have read about FSDS2 it seems that all the new Fs2002 features that GMax already handle are now included. I also assume they use the new triangles (they write about improved frames and new code, so.....).Of course I haven't seen the new FSDS, but I expect that the main difference between FSDS and GMax will be the options you have to model the model. I assume FSDS will keep the GUI close to the old one. GMax then would have the advantage that you can easy make holes, extrude faces, apply modifiers to round things, etc.But the future will learn if this is true :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I wonder if they'll provide a sample license...I don't plan to spend more money for modelling without a need. I kind of think Abacus missed the boat on this one. Had they released this before the loyal fsds users had been forced to learn the 3dsmax interface, they would have maintained marketshare...but now...why switch back? I didn't read a single feature advertised that gmax can't do. example, the add says fsds has a "larger" texture window tool, while in gmax, the unwrap uv window can expand to full screen and STILL you can zoom down to the pixel if you wish.Well, like you say...time will tell. I used to re-install VOD each time I did a harddrive reformat, so I'd be able to maintain and update my vod models, but I didn't the last time, cuz I never actually used VOD once I got FSDS. So, I doubt I'll want to update my old fsds models...I'll still use fsds for the line feature that so far I can't do with GMAX, but for a single open polygon, its not worth $29 to have it coded in bglc...hard to imagine much frame rate impact from adding a couple of polygons. My old version of fsds will still work for that.B

Guest christian

Have you tried using the different driver options? I found that I had problems with the opengl and directx drivers, but the heidi (software) drivers are working fine...Cheers, Christian

Guest cwright

Bill, on my FS98 system Gmax is completely stable and performs very well indeed. With one exception. It is guaranteed to crash if you attempt to open the Material Navigator on a Sunday. If you don't believe me, see the thread on the main FS forum! Best regards, Chris

> With one exception. It is guaranteed to crash if you >attempt to open the Material Navigator on a Sunday. Same here. That sunday bug killed a demo I was giving on a FS Weekend some time ago (then I didn't know about it yet) :D.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

yes, this is one of the for sure crash causes...I find gmax stopped crashing when I stopped using the navigator altogether, I only use the editor, and when I stopped using convert to editable mesh command from the rightclick quadrant menu. Instead I always add an edit mesh modifyer....perhaps this is only my imagination, but it seems to have produced stable operation for me..I'm using win98.Bob B