Sign in to follow this  

Coastline Sound FX feature

I have created a addon for FS2002 that has been out a while now though maybe not well known or used yetThe Addon is Seascape FX and I would love to have some input to its enhancementI thought Lagos FS SoundScape would make my addon obsolite but I have found it hasntMy Addon simmply exploits the Firework.wav and related effects file and adds Seashore Sound and Wind effects to mostl areas where you have coastlinesI would like to be able to have a front end for this addon and would appreciate anyones advise on how to do so I really like the simplicity of FS SKY FRONT END and if any one can help in the design of a front end for My addon I would be extremly gratefullI allso need help on being able to determine the distance from which the sound effect is audibleRally any help is appreciatedYou are free to download the program addon SeaScape FX fromhttp://nzcoaster.kiwiclub.comAgain many thanks for any pointers or input Cheers from Greg in New Zealandnzcoaster@netscape.net

Sorry, I can't give much help - but I definately would love to see (or hear) this added to the tropical island airports by Bill Melichar!!Claudius

Guest christian

Greg, can you be more specific about the front end you want?Cheers, Christian

Hi ChristianYou know its not like I'm after anything fancy ;-) at allBut if I could do this I would I dont know delphi at all but could delphi personal edition do this :-) if I learnt it Any way as you can see it really is a straight forward copy functionso people dont have to mess with copy find that directory paste etcThe Graphic I did is just a dream of what I like it to beThe main things are toClick to install modified *.fx filesPreview soundCopy sounddouble click to customize own libraryclick to reset back to fs defaultsquit buttonI know all that can be done without my Graphic exampleIs this front end difficult? As you can gather I don't know any programing langauges at all ;-(But am willing to give it a go if its within a reasonable learning curveThanks for your thoughts and suggestionsCheers MateGreg

Guest christian

Hi Greg,hmm, I don't know delphi at all. I never did a front end like that myself, so can't comment too much. I would expect that it wouldn't be too hard though...Usually, you can draw the graphics in delphi and than assign functions to the buttons. It may be easy, but then it may not, I really don't know how delphi works...Cheers, Christian

Hi Greg,Since its a small project that won't take much time, I'd be happy to whip something up for you. If you wish me to go ahead, give me 24 hours so I can find a bit of free time and I'll upload a copy. It won't look exactly like the above, but I'll make it look nice I promise :-).Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Hi ElrondThankyou for your replyYou are very welcome to Produce a Front End for this .what tools do you use for that purpose . I am currently downloading delphi 6 personal edition to try my hand at programing Of which I have done nothing in beforeMay I look at the source files when your finished so I can get an Idea what sort of work goes into programing?The Seascape Fx addon at the moment is simply a self extracting zip that opens up an html file with instructionsAre the features adequate in my example picture?Any other questions just fire awayAs you look at my addon you will notice there is an experimental area putting a bgl in the scenery directory. Don't worry about doing anything for that side of it Just the Seashore effectsA Heap of thanks ElrondKind RegardsGreghttp://nzcoaster.kiwiclub.com

Hi Greg,I'll code it for speed and small exe size in Delphi 5. I'll make sure it will compile in the latest D7 as well, but that version creates needlessly large exe files for such a simple application. It may not compile in the free Delphi edition available from Borlands site however (I think its missing a few units I'd need), but I'll see what I can do. The source will be handed over in any case, of course.As for the interface, I'm pretty sure I have the idea of what you are looking for. It should probably be coded to read its "plugins" from a separate .ini file dynamically at load, so you/people can add new fx and sound packages to the UI at will. When the UI starts, it would look for the ini file from within the FS folder and load its objects from there. Something like this tree (the actual FS folder would be auto-detected of course and may differ):FS2002SeaScapeSeascapeUI.iniFS2002SeaScapeReadmes, html, etc.FS2002SeaScapePlugin1firework.wavFS2002SeaScapePlugin1*.fxFS2002SeaScapePlugin1UI.bmpFS2002SeaScapePlugin2firework.wavFS2002SeaScapePlugin2*.fxFS2002SeaScapePlugin2UI.bmpetc.Where the ini might be laid out something like this:

{Plugin1}				   // Sub-folder nameUI_Image=UI.bmp			 // Thumbnail to display for this entryFXFilesTotal=2			  // Total number of FX filesFXFile1=fx_waves.fx		 // FXFile1 filenameFXFile2=wavecontroller.fx   // FXFile2 filename, etc.SoundFilesTotal=1		   // Total number of sound filesSoundFile1=firwork.wav	  // SoundFile1 filename, etc. {Plugin2}etc.

That way, any future packages or additions can simply be added as a SeaScape sub-folder and its specifics added to the ini file - any number could be added (or removed) at will by an installer or the end-user. Does this sound good ok to you? I'll also package the util with a standard installer instead of a zip program, if you wish (I use Wise Installer for my utilities).It might be better to talk on the AVSIM chat or Yahoo Messenger for a bit to nail down any of your ideas. If so, let me know and we'll setup a time... I'm usually available in the early evening EST - from 6pm to 9pm or so.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Hi ElrondWhat you have shown in your last reply sounds just right as it only has to have those basic functionsIf you want to go ahead with that it would be great I would be more than happy to see the resultBut if there are any other issues we could chat on Avsim chat though Ive never used it Im in New Zealand and from our reckoning you about 14 hours behind usWhich I think the best time to chat to get you is between 10am through to 1pm New Zealand timeI am extremly greatful that you are able to look at this project Elrond at this stage just go for it when you are able as I can't think of any other issuesIf you want to chat just say whenThanks heapsKind Regards Greg

Hi Claudius I know this is a late replybut I think you will find that the coastal sound effects are evident around almost all tropical Islands I just did a randon check through half a dozen or more French Polynesian Islands and they all have the seashore sound effect sometimes you have to adjust the enviromental volume slider to have the effect giving the "aprox" sound distanceThe effect gets louder as you move closer to the seashore and also the sounds are positional paning left to right channel depending on the wave actionKind Regards Greg

Hi ElrondJust to let you know I have Yahoo messenger installednzcoaster@yahoo.comCheers Greg