Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

Official News About NV30

Guest Max Cowgill

Jen-Hsung Huang, CEO of Nvidia Corporation today announced that the next-generation Nvidia GPU codenamed NV30 is first scheduled to be manufactured on TSMC's .13 micron process in August of this year! Products from board manufacturers should see volume production by September with cards reaching retail shelves by October at the latest (speculation on my part, but is historically accurate if you look at past Nvidia GPU releases). There's a very good possibility that cards based on NV30 could start showing up at retail in August, depending on when TSMC starts manufaturing NV30 GPUs, and what kind of yields they get. Huang was quoted as saying the (NV30) "is a fundamentally new architecture from the GeForce 4 Titanium." Get ready folks, 3 months and counting...edit: forgot to mention, you can find the story where this info was taken from here: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-896850.html?...y=cnet&tag=lthdMax Cowgill

Guest SoarPics

I'll buy only if it has hardware AA (say... didn't Nvidia buy out 3DFX a few years ago? ;) ) When will they finally bring that technology back to the marketplace?Thanks for the heads-up,

Even if it is 6 months and counting .. this is the card I am saving ny $$ for.Michael J.

Guest Max Cowgill

>I'll buy only if it has hardware AA (say... didn't Nvidia >buy out 3DFX a few years ago? ;) ) When will they finally >bring that technology back to the marketplace? >>Thanks for the heads-up, Greg, that's the whole idea behind NV30: incorporating 3dfx/Gigapixel technology into an Nvidia GPU. That's why the NV30 has been called "the big one" since the GF2 days (by those in-the-know anyway). Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

Hi Max,It would seem that this is more in response to some PR from SiS which announced a new GPU targeted directly at Nvidia and ATI about 2 weeks ago. Silicon's GPU is DX8.1 compliant and it sports a hardware pixel shader and supports environment bump mapping as well. The first samples are supposed to be available in the beginning of this month, and will be the first true 8x AGP to be marketed. These cards will probably fall in somewhere above GF4TI and Rad8500 cards but certainly bellow the DX9.0 compliant NV30 cards.It is more likely that the NV30 will debut in reference form only in August and that september/october will be RTS dates, But who cares. No matter how you look at it, it will be hardware heaven by then. :)Paul

Hmmm I wonder if we could expect lowest frame rates in the high 20s with Simflyer KLAX scenery with TTools with 100% AI traffic at about 6:00pm using real world flight schedules(the totalalty of all 6pm KLAX traffic)and no studdering all sliders at %100. with a PIC/DF/PSS panel.Time will tell I wont make any comment till it comes out the proof is in the processing.

Guest PaulL01

I just wanted to add that somthing to concider is that DX9.0 was finalized (last month) and...Drum roll.....we will know get 40bit color at last! Along with a host of other great display techniques, such as Fog will finally be displaced vertically as well as horizontally and other cool stuff!Paul

Guest PaulL01

Well of course you'll need the new Motherboards and CPUs to go with it if you want to see what these new cards will really do. $of $course!Rainbow chasing is Fun!Paul

Guest Max Cowgill

>Hi Max, >>It would seem that this is more in response to some PR from >SiS which announces a new GPU targeted directly at Nvidia >and ATI about 2 weeks ago. >Actually Paul, I think this is a common misconception circulating the net right now... It's not SiS they're worried about, it's *gasp* Matrox! Matrox is about to announce their "Parhelia" GPU which, according to many sources under NDA, is going to shock the industry. Who knows what Matrox has in store for us, except for those under NDA who are saying little more than "get ready to be amazed" or something along those lines :-mad Then again, Creative did just buy out 3d Labs, so who knows what they have up their sleeves... FWIW, my money's on Matrox as the "dark horse" candidate to be releasing this mystery GPU. The next few months are going to be quite interesting indeed... Xabre, Parhelia (G800 more than likely), R250, NV30, whatever 3d Labs is calling their next-gen GPU, R300, yada yada yada. Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>>Hi Max, >>>>It would seem that this is more in response to some PR from >>SiS which announces a new GPU targeted directly at Nvidia >>and ATI about 2 weeks ago. >>>>Actually Paul, I think this is a common misconception >circulating the net right now... It's not SiS they're >worried about, it's *gasp* Matrox! Matrox is about to >announce their "Parhelia" GPU which, according to many >sources under NDA, is going to shock the industry. Who >knows what Matrox has in store for us, except for those >under NDA who are saying little more than "get ready to be >amazed" or something along those lines :-mad Then again, >Creative did just buy out 3d Labs, so who knows what they >have up their sleeves... FWIW, my money's on Matrox as the >"dark horse" candidate to be releasing this mystery GPU. >The next few months are going to be quite interesting >indeed... Xabre, Parhelia (G800 more than likely), R250, >NV30, whatever 3d Labs is calling their next-gen GPU, R300, >yada yada yada. >>Max Cowgill Yes, that too! I was aware of the news of the select few press that got invited out to California to witness some "special" new 3D technology But the "lid" seems to be pretty tight still, we'll just have to wait n c!Paul

Guest Max Cowgill

Paul, the NDA is supposed to be lifted in less than two weeks now, so we should know relatively soon what this monster of a GPU will be. My money's still on Matrox but I give Trident and Creative outside shots to pull something off here in the next couple months... As I said though, my money's on Matrox due to several factors, but the biggest being the fact that MS demoed DX9 on Matrox hardware at GDC this year. I'm pretty sure the G550 (latest Matrox product) doesn't have DX9 support so this implies new hardware (Parhelia).Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, the NDA is supposed to be lifted in less than two >weeks now, so we should know relatively soon what this >monster of a GPU will be. My money's still on Matrox but I >give Trident and Creative outside shots to pull something >off here in the next couple months... As I said though, my >money's on Matrox due to several factors, but the biggest >being the fact that MS demoed DX9 on Matrox hardware at GDC >this year. I'm pretty sure the G550 (latest Matrox product) >doesn't have DX9 support so this implies new hardware >(Parhelia). >>Max CowgillI've got some video from that confrence of Matrox's demo rendering the new DX9.0 showing off the new displacement mapping technique, a very cool way of rendering 3d terrain. I'll bet we don't see this in FS untill FS2k6 though.As far as the mystery technology, I put money on 3Dlabs as 1st choice just ahead of Matrox.Looser buys winner virtual Beer? :)Paul

Guest ront1

Well, at the risk of sounding harsh, I hope someone comes along and knocks Nvidia down a few notches. I have nothing against their product, but with it being really the only card in town, they rape you every six months. Can't good cards be produced with it costing a third of a new computer to buy one. That sucks IMHO. Wow, I feel better now.

Guest Max Cowgill

>I've got some video from that confrence of Matrox's demo >rendering the new DX9.0 showing off the new displacement >mapping technique, a very cool way of rendering 3d terrain. >I'll bet we don't see this in FS untill FS2k6 though. >>As far as the mystery technology, I put money on 3Dlabs as >1st choice just ahead of Matrox. >>Looser buys winner virtual Beer? :) >>Paul You've got yourself a deal Paul! :-beerchugMax Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>Well, at the risk of sounding harsh, I hope someone comes >along and knocks Nvidia down a few notches. I have nothing >against their product, but with it being really the only >card in town, they rape you every six months. Can't good >cards be produced with it costing a third of a new computer >to buy one. That sucks IMHO. Wow, I feel better now. LOL, I hear ya... I disagree about their being only one player though, ATI has done a decent job of competing with Nvidia since 3dfx and everyone else dropped out of the running. Granted, ATI hasn't exactly put anything out that's demolished Nvidia's offerings, but they have indeed competed. I do agree, however, that more competition is almost always a good thing and I eageraly await the offerings of the various companies about to re-enter the graphics market.Max Cowgill