Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Lakes FS2k2 Style?

Chris,That's exactly what I mean - a list of lat/long coordinate pairs separated by a tab (=ASCII-code 9).I have submitted a such file with this post. You should be able to view with NotePad.RegardsAnders

Hi Chris.It looks fantastic.I'm assuming the water height can be set... and height -9999 set for mesh-clinging water.Some extra capabilities could be added, if they aren't already present:Land masking. You didn't mention it, but it's now easily added if you desire.It might be good to add invisible flattens code capability. Why not? You've already done the majority of the work for that!CFS2-style mesh-clinging water. The CFS2 people have been chomping at the bit to get some water into their sim!CFS2 code will require a LWMFileHeader Version of 256, rather than 513. And CFS2 LWMs have no height data, so you'll need to use LWMPoly1, that I invented in the TDFMacros.inc.Please feel free to add updated versions of the , and [link:webpages.charter.net/ludowr/TDFCalc2.zip]TDFCalc2, if desired in your package.I'm playing with some methods of re-meshing flattened areas, by creating new macros to handle the chores... That will probably have to wait for version2 of your program. :-eek Dick

Chris and Dick,congratulation for your work.Will it be possible to replace roads also with this new frontend ?Would be greatThomas

Guest cwright

Anders, that should be no problem. Consider it done - in the next few days, that is! Your example will be very useful for testing. Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Hi, Dick! I got your email - I'll reply shortly. Bear in mind that the program currently just adds flattened water - the big problem was to solve the geometrical/mathematical issues. You can set the height - if you look closely you'll see the slot for water level. As it just copies the number to the asm file then probably -9999 should work. Remember that I'm not an expert on these SDK matters, but as I'm sure you'll provide the help it should certainly be possible to add these features fairly soon. Probably the best way would be to provide an example asm text that I can use as a template - that's precisely what I've done so far! I'll need to add VTP support - is that necessary for beaches? I think the first priority would be adding beaches/waves. One VTP question: I looked at your VTP island/beach example. I increased the size of the island and that worked fine. But when I also increased the size of the beach it didn't work (there were bits of beach scattered all over the island!) The beach coordinates were basically the same as the island ones so I expected it to scale up but it didn't. There's probably something else I need to know about setting the beach coordinates. Thanks for the comments. Yesterday was quite a good day, for two reasons. I solved the CW problem - and my shares on the Nasdaq actually went up quite a bit, which these days doesn't happen very often! Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Thomas, I'm sure it will be possible, but it may be a while, perhaps a few weeks. Best regards, Chris

Oh my gosh!! Will this be able to work with CFS2 types as well?!?

Who is currently working on a GUI ?I'd love to do my Hollywood reservoir using this method, then it would match the Silverlake Reservoir. Then perhaps Echo Park lake.I wish I had the gui MS uses!http://www.geocities.com/ihor.geo/

If I might interject, I'd stay with the FS world since that's where the final output is destined. There are hundreds of ways to make maps and is discussed elsewhere. (terrainmap.com & the casual cartographer)How do you know if your map is the same as MS, though some one postulated that MS gets its info from Encarta!Keep up the very hard work and let me know how it's going.http://www.geocities.com/ihor.geo/

Hi James!I'm hoping I can get Chris to add CFS2 water, as the code is so similar to FS2002's water. If he doesn't add it, it should be possible to use a text editor's 'search and replace' function to alter the code.CFS2 shorelines are a bit of a problem, as they are not the same as FS2002's. But they are documented as VTP Method1 strips. So, down the road, Chris may add that capability, if he wants to make this the full-blown TDF writer.Nowhere in the default FS2002 are VTP Method1s used.. either the fan or strip flavors! The strips are the lines of CFS2. But the VTP Method1 fans are not used anywhere, although they offer tremendous possibilities for both CFS2 and FS2002. The fans are what we normally would think of as polys. You've seen some 'blended' CFS2 airfields? Well they are better when done as VTP Method1s... almost no framerate reductions.Dick

....Astounding.......If this could be made to apply in CFS2 as well as FS2002....I can just imagine the grateful hordes of busy flightsimmers....There's been some amazing breakthroughs in the past few years...but this seems to be a real landmark application in the making.

Guest cwright

James, I'm sure that will be possible though it'll take a little time. I enjoyed using CFS2 and I look forward to CFS3 - though I'm not too impressed by some of the screenshots, particularly the blurred ground textures (I suffer from dynamic blurred textures in CFS2 and FS2002). It sounds like none of this stuff will work in CFS3, so I guess we'll have to wait for the scenery SDK due in the spring of next year. Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris,I must make a little amendment to my previous post. When I start thinking about the file format I realize that there of course must be a mechanism in the format to handle more than one single line. So here is a complete file description based on a format that is called

Yes, indeed we should stay with the FS world - that's why I suggested a semitransparent, resizable, movable map on top of the FS screenshot. Just to make it possible to make the new coastlines fit as well as possible into the FS scenery! IMHO it would be much easier to draw new lines using this suggested method! Really looking forward to this tool and it's new features!BamceEFHN

Guest Claviateur

Wonderful! Magic! You are the best! My dreams come true!A big Thanks :)Michel