Sign in to follow this  

Terrain Mesh

Guest ba747heavy

Hey All --I am wondering what would be involved in creating mesh for FS? What kind of tools, data, etc that I would need.Thanks a bunchFred Clausen

Guest ba747heavy

Thanks for the link to FSTerrain, however, I can't find FSDTED here at avsim, I will go check 'the other site' to see if they have it.Thanks

Guest ba747heavy

Opps, never mind, I found it ;-)

Guest ba747heavy

Ok, after looking these tools over, i got a few questions :-)1) This would make (with the proper) data, the terrain mesh that FSGenesis makes, right?2) What is the relevant SDK(Terrain SDK, I would assume)3) Where would I get the good terrain data for the US? :-)Thanks for 'listening' to my newbie questions

hey,<<1) This would make (with the proper) data, the terrain mesh that FSGenesis makes, right?Yes, the more accurate the data the more accurate the mesh...watch your frames!<<2) What is the relevant SDK(Terrain SDK, I would assume)Well, that's right...but I consider these tool there own sdk's because they do everything necessary to convert data...you can even paint your own greyscale data.<<3) Where would I get the good terrain data for the US?There's differences in the data thats freely available from the USGS read the docs and i think theres a link...post if you cant find it...you want to look for DEM or DTED.good luck...this is very easy after you do it once...I personally like being able to adjust the games mesh with a greyscale painting...you can really make the mesh 'hug' your airports this way.Martin is great and always much help...check out his forum also.Faceplant-