Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

FS2k2 roads using the Terrain SDK?

Hi Dick!Well, it's a little bit late now but today I tried to create a road with a custom texture using your help here.I made a reailroad texture (one for every season) and tried to insert it a road for hours now. Unfortunatelly whthout any success yet.FS crashes when I try the load the road with the custom texture and if not, there's nothing to see.The format of the texture is exactly the same as the custom textures are and I copied all the textures to the texture folder of the scenery and to the texture folder in SCENEDB/World. I don't think that there's any problem.Thx for your help.Sasa

Hi Sasa.You're code is fine. It must be the textures.I created a project folder called 'SasaRoad' right on the desktop. Inside that folder I made 2 subfolders...'scenery' and 'texture'.I placed your compiled BGL into 'scenery'.I then used copies of "vroadssu.bmp", "vroadshw.bmp" and "vroadss_lm.bmp"... found in 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBWORLDTexture'. These are 87Kb files, and are 8-bit mipped, with alpha transparency, 256x256.I made extra copies, and renamed them as you have them in your ASM file, and placed them all into the 'SasaRoadtexture' folder i made on the desktop.I added the 'SasaRoad' scenery with the scenery library, and all shows up as expected... no crashing or any oddities.So that's why I think it's the textures, not the ASM code.You can zip the textures, and e-mail them to me at ludowr@charter.net , and I'll have a look at them. Viewing them with Microsoft's ImageTool will also tell you if the format is right.Dick

Hi Dick!Thank you so much!!! :-) :-) :-)My fault was that I saved the textures using BMP2000. After I saved them using the Image Tool everything is fine and finally I can see my railroad. :-lolNow one further question: From LWM I know that transparent areas turn into water in FS2002. Is that also the case if I use VTP? So there would be an easy way to create large rivers.Or do I have to use LWM? For all I know there it is much more complicated to create rivers over a long distance.Best regardsSasa

Hi Sasa.Alpha transparency is transparent with VTP polys and lines. CUSTOM landclass ( photoreal ), uses the alpha for water. If you place a CUSTOM texture with VTP, the water disappears, and you get ( I think ), black where the DXT1 alpha is, instead of water.So, LWM is probably the best way to go.If you don't want to code the water polys "by hand", with the help of Cellgrid and TDFCalc3, there is AutoASM, and LWMDraw. Search the forums for recent copies.How did the railroad textures turn out? Lots of people might be interested, as there is no default railroad in FS2002. Also, If you want the rails to appear over the roads, use a Layer of 32 or greater ( maximum of 63 ).Dick

Hi Dick,The attachement "VTPLayerExcludes.inc" is no longer on the avsim server. Could you send me a link again, please.Best Regards, Heinrich

Hi Heinrich.I'm attaching it again, and pasting it here:; VTPLayerExcludes.inc BGLC includes for Terrain Data File Exclusions; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------VTPAreaExclude Macro Layer, U, V WORD ( V * 800h ) + ( U * 40h ) + 1 BYTE 80h + Layer BYTE 0EndM; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------VTPCellRowExclude Macro Layer, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 0, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 1, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 2, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 3, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 4, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 5, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 6, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 7, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 8, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 9, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 10, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 11, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 12, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 13, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 14, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 15, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 16, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 17, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 18, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 19, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 20, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 21, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 22, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 23, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 24, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 25, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 26, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 27, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 28, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 29, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 30, V VTPAreaExclude Layer, 31, VEndM; -----------------------------------------------------------; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------VTPCellExclude Macro Layer VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 0 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 1 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 2 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 3 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 4 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 5 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 6 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 7 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 8 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 9 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 10 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 11 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 12 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 13 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 14 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 15 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 16 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 17 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 18 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 19 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 20 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 21 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 22 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 23 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 24 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 25 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 26 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 27 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 28 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 29 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 30 VTPCellRowExclude Layer, 31EndM; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dick