Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

VTP Method1 BUG

He used it on method1 polygons, I think I will receive some source later this evening and then I will post it here.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno.I just found a use of seasonal textures called by name in FS2002. :-lol MS has just 4 examples in the sim ( that I can find )! They are in "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBEasthemmadagasScenery" and are named "nphyp??????.bgl"The hex editor told me the separating delimiter is a semicolon ( ; ), not the comma ( , ) that the Terrain SDK tells us... so they are wrong again.I tried a file with the Semicolons, and it worked... commas do not work.Here's the code I used:include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.inc; Delavan Single VTP1; N42* 38.13' W88* 37.33'BGLHeader 44, 41, -87, -90, TerrainHeaderStart, VTPHeaderVTPHeader label word VTPFileHeader 256, VTPIndexStart, TextureStart, VTPEndVTPStart label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------; Cell_194_134datamark_0 label word VTPDataArea 1, 1, 30, 22 VTPLayer 4, 0 VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0 VTPTextureId 0, 0 VTPPolyCount 1, 0 VTPPolyMethod2 4, 0, 0 VTPPointXY2 11730, 9690 VTPPointXY2 11986, 9690 VTPPointXY2 11986, 9946 VTPPointXY2 11730, 9946datamark_1 label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cell_194_134 EQU VTPCellID 0, 194, 134 VTPIndexStart label word VTPIndexHeader 1, VTPIndexData, VTPStart VTPIndexData label word VTPIndexEntry Cell_194_134, VTPStart, datamark_0, datamark_1; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TextureStart label word VTPTextureListHeader 1, TextureIndexStart, TextureDataStart, TextureDataEndTextureIndexStart label word VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_0, texturemark_1TextureDataStart label word texturemark_0 label word VTPTextureName "DelavanWi.bmp;DelavanHW.bmp;DelavanSp.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanFa.bmp;DelavanLm.bmp" VTPTextureType 1, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_1 label wordTextureDataEnd label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------VTPEnd label wordThis will place a seasonal/night texture set with a VTPm2 polygon. You might want to pass this code example along.Dick

Hi all.After realizing the SDK was errored again, it got me thinking about Arno's suggestion that the sim was expecting VTP1s to have a night texture.So, I included a seasonal/night texture set, and used the newly discovered semi-colon ( ; ) as the name delimiter... and it works!!!No more bug. VTP Method1 polys MUST be supplied with a seasonal set ( semi-colon delimited ), or it will crash the sim at night.Here's the code... check out the 'VTPTextureName' entry:include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.inc ; Delavan Single VTP1; N42* 38.13' W88* 37.33'BGLHeader 44, 41, -87, -90, TerrainHeaderStart, VTPHeaderVTPHeader label word VTPFileHeader 256, VTPIndexStart, TextureStart, VTPEndVTPStart label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------; Cell_194_134datamark_0 label word VTPDataArea 1, 0, 30, 22 VTPLayer 4, 1 VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0 VTPTextureId 0, 0 VTPPolyCount 1, 0 VTPPolyMethod1 4, 0, 1 VTPPointXYUV 0, 0, 0, 0 VTPPointXYUV 255, 0, 255, 0 VTPPointXYUV 255, 255, 255, 255 VTPPointXYUV 0, 255, 0, 255datamark_1 label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cell_194_134 EQU VTPCellID 0, 194, 134 VTPIndexStart label word VTPIndexHeader 1, VTPIndexData, VTPStart VTPIndexData label word VTPIndexEntry Cell_194_134, VTPStart, datamark_0, datamark_1; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TextureStart label word VTPTextureListHeader 1, TextureIndexStart, TextureDataStart, TextureDataEndTextureIndexStart label word VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_0, texturemark_1TextureDataStart label word texturemark_0 label word VTPTextureName "DelavanWi.bmp;DelavanHW.bmp;DelavanSp.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanFa.bmp;DelavanLm.bmp" VTPTextureType 1, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_1 label wordTextureDataEnd label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------VTPEnd label wordThis is really great news! We can now use the advantages of VTPm1's placement andf orientation, with photoreal or custom textures.What a relief...I'm still mad at Microsoft. Those SDK editors had no experience with terrain design at all!Many thanks to you and your team Arno, for helping me think this through.Also, as Arno indicated, the set can be one texture, but must be named 6 times, then:"DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp;DelavanSu.bmp"Dick

Hi W.:-lol I can imagine how the worker bees of the terrain design team reacted when they were told "Well, don't use them if they don't work!"Thanks to Arno's insistance they should work... I found MS's error... it's in the SDK docs, again. :~P I should have known.Dick

Hi W.No kidding! I'm enjoying some time in a "job bank". My corporation decided to give about 700 workers full 40 hour pay, with full benefits, to sit at home ( until at least next September! )It makes the manhours-per-product ratio look very nice, as we are paid from a different pocket. The obscene thing is, my co-workers who do not have enough seniority must still work... and they are working them 10 hours overtime per week!At least it gives me time to obsess over VTP polygons.:-beerchug to your retirement!Dick

Nice work Dick :).I like those forums, together we can decipher the SDK from MS and remove the errors from it :D.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Dick,I can't wait until tutorial #next. There is just so much you guys are finding. Us novices can't keep up!!And so keep asking, were have all the scenery developers gone?! They're all right here trying to fix the SDKs, once again.However, it doesn't do any good getting mad at Microsoft. Just think of the satisfaction of discovering the solutions to their errors.Great Job, I really enjoy reading all the designers posts, even if I can only grasp 1/4 of it.:-beerchug

Guest christian

Sorry for being too late, but I knew that...I had discovered those style 1 left over bgls a ehile ago, my decompiler can process them. They work the same as in the terraintextures.cfg, ';' instead of ','. I never noticed the SDK was wrong...You were right, Dick, I mixed those bgls up, lak.bgl is indeed LWM, it's those other ones you found now too, that still are VTP method 1...Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian.It's lucky some MS designer experimented with them! We could have searched for weeks/months for a seasonal/night solution. Who knows what else will be wrong! I'm going to spend some time retracing our steps, and documenting what we know to be different from the Terrain SDK.Dick