Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stompy

WBC31.zip

Has anyone used Michael Lyons Weight & Balance computer?I get nervous when I see only an exe file with no documentation, readme, or other info and WinZip tells me that is is not a standard zip file and can't look inside it.I wish authors would not do this. Even if the file is legit, there is no way to predict what is being done and where the files are going to end up. I have a non-standard installation and often developers don't know how to read the registry properly and it is more trouble to straighten everything out than to just do a manual installation the first time. Running an exe of uncertain source on your machine is always risky anyway. Even if the uploader is legit, a virus he picked up could easily be hitching a ride.A good compromise is a zip file you can look into that you can unzip to the directory of your choice with an automatic installation from there accompanied by an explanation of what it is going to do.You can't really maintain FS without a basic understanding of directory and file structure anyway. When you manually install something, you learn how it works and can better trouble shoot later. I wish authors wouldn't worry so much about making it convienient.

Roger,I haven't downloaded this file or tried it, so I can't attest that this applies... But *sometimes* an EXE file is a zip file with a self-extractor wrapped around it. When you run the executable, you may be given options as to where to unzip the file(s). Unfortunately, the only way to tell is to run it! :)

Guest Stompy

Sometimes, using a program like WinZip, you can open the self-extracting exe file to look inside. It doesn't always work, but if you go into Winzip & do a file open & select the exe that might work for you.