Sign in to follow this  
akriesman

Sick of tweaking textures, but here are the results!

Here is a snapshot of my LandClass project.First, I created the DFW LandClass using USGS data (Thanks to those that helped with my earlier problems).Second, the default textures (and the FSScene textures) looked nothing like the summer textures for this area. So, I started creating my own them a few weeks ago.The new textures are hand-painted using cropped pieces of aerial photos, taken for this region. Boy, what a painful process this was to get the coloring and seam matching ironed out. A total of 79 texture images were eventually reworked.I am finally satisfied with the results. I think the textures work really well for the Southern U.S. region, especially the cities.What do you guys think ? I would eventually consider releasing the textures and land class data to the public, if you guys think it worthwhile.This particular image shows a blending of 4 textures types (I think): Commercial, Low-Intensity Residential, High-Intensity Residential, and Evergreen Forest.http://www.avsim.com/terramodels/shot.jpgCheers,Allen

Um - how do I say this ....WOW!I like them - really nice, and I can think of a number of places these textures would look nice..Can you use landclass textures anywhere - or are they programmed for the mesh?

LandClass data and textures are separate from the mesh. Microsoft provides about 121 different land class textures with FS2002 (I think very few are used with the default LandClass). LandClass in the FS2002 world is broken up into LOD5 areas of about 1,200km x 1,200km each. You can assign a unique texture to each of the 1,200 x 1,200km areas. This is not very precise, but FS2002 improves the overall effect by blending adjoining textures.IMHO, The stock FS2002 summer textures are much too green for many areas in the U.S. Also, the FS2002 textures contain very few housing subdivisions, which are very common in the U.S.The LandClass definitions/mappings that come with FS2002 are very basic. However, the USGS provides detailed LandClass data that can greatly improve FS2002.The DFW LandClass example above, is due to a combination of new textures and more detailed LandClass data mappings.Hope this helps, and thanks for the feedback.Allen