Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

AFD problem

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Downloaded a bush scenery yesterday and am having all manner of problems getting it to install correctly. Installed it (along with all the other author's sceneries) in a seperate folder outside of MSFS; dropped the .bgl and .adf files into the scenery folder and overwrote the textures in the Textures folder. Firing up FS builds the database and index, so no need to "activate" it. So far, so good However, _every_ time I load up MSFS, at the startup screen, FS builds a new database and index (expect it the first time scenery is activated but not every time) as well as creates a 1.16Mb file in the FS root folder (variously numbered: 4143, 72B3, et cetera) containing code, a number of SCASM codes, and a listing of _every_ airfield contained in the database. Won't be too concerned, it's just that FS has created 20 of these files which are beginning to chew up valuable hard drive space. I have deleted these database files, removed the new files, activated FS, let it rebuild, exited FS and immediately re-activated FS and ... no rebuild. Included the files, activated FS, let it rebuild, exited and re-activated FS and ... database is rebuilt again. Done this about 10 times attempting to track down the problem.(Have even tried locating the .adf files in the SceneryDBADF folder; but the same thing happens. )And all this is after a fresh reinstall of FS (thinking there might have been something corrupted by some recent programme downloaded).Contacted the author and he (whilst as puzzled with the scenery's behaviour as was I) suggested I remove the .afd files and see what happened. Well, did so, and ... lo and behold ... no database rebuild. His explanation was that it sounded like the WAYPOINT-INDEX file was being created each and every time I loaded up FS.Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Or, has anyone got a working solution (apart from not including the .adf files ... without these, there are no GPS/Nav references, which kinda makes the whole install an exercise in futility).Enquiring minds would really like to know. TIA.

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Tracked down the problem; Active Camera Pro v1.1 is the culprit!!! Don't know what it does, but removing it (and re-installing v.1) has stopped the database rebuild.

Does this scenery provide for a "new" airport not part of the default fs2002 listing of airports? If so, a new entry in the fs2002scenedbAFDFilesScenery folder needs to be made. If it is an existing airport, you don't need to add additional COM/NAV/ILS, etc. but need to use AFCAD to open the existing airport and make the changes due to the new scenery, if there are any.Also, I am wondering if the main *.bgl for the scenery contain COM/NAV/ILS data, that is confusing fs2002. FS2000 and FS2002 use separate areas for COM/NAV/ILS data. The main *.bgl should contain the airport, while a separate AFD *.bgl should contain the COM/NAV/ILS data and be in the fs2002scenedbAFDFilesScenery folder.I am also a little confused about your statement "Installed it (along with all the other author's sceneries) in a seperate folder outside of MSFS"! What does that mean?I would recommend you try installing the scenery in a Project folder inside of MSFS, such as:fs2002scenedbCitiesProjectScenery andfs2002scenedbCitiesProjectTexturePlace the scenery *.bgls in the Scenery folder except for the AFD file. Place the Textures in the texture folder unless they are the generic textures from ASD, Airport, NOVA, etc. The generic textures should be placed in the fs2002texture folder. I would place the AFD file in the fs2002scenedbAFDFilesScenery folder, if it is a new airport (see the discussion above) otherwise don't install it and modify the exiting airport.You might also want to delete any entries in the Scenery.cfg file that pertain to this scenery. I would do this through the menu system. After the scenery entry has been deleted, restart fs2002, then select, settings, Scenery Library, and add the scenery again.

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Looks as though I was a tad premature casting aspersions upon Active Camera Pro after all. Turns out the problem was one of my own causing--simply a corrupted scenery.cfg file (had manually deleted several scenery entries which threw the sequencing out of kilter which thus caused the database/index to rebuild itself every time). I have posted a public apology over on the main forum.