Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Anybody has X-Plane ?

Larry,I must confess That I too wasnt impressed with the flight modelling.I was tempted to buy the programme and may still in the future but it still isnt yet "my thing".Having said that we should support any sim as there are now to few players.Sooooooooo ???

Guess you must love Fly! then?>As a flight instructor, I have used MSFS and X-Plane in my >ground school sessions with my students, and I feel that for >demonstration purposes of in-flight procedures, Microsoft

Peter,I WAS quite impressed with X-Planes new "mountain" textures when flying low level near Mach One in the F-15. Maybe I should throw my support!L.Adamson

>Guess you must love Fly! then? >Just out of true curiosity............... how about yourself? Just wondering, since you picked up the program.L.Adamson

As some I wasn't at all impressed neither by the Fm nor other aspect of X-plane.What impressed me is the commercial hunger of austin the creator of x-plane.I payed for the 5.60 version when the price just dropped from obscene highness and now I have to pay again for the upgrade.I didn't had this feeling of being roberred since MS product.The guy that supported austin since the start and made a lot of material for x-plane are in general disgusted from it: they payed a lot, made a lot of things that aren't compatible anymore and now should pay again and again.for me X-plane is definitively a no no.Dan

Very recently discovered it, and tried it.And indeed, the 747 in it doesnt even come close to the 747 in FSMy airfile for the 747 is almost 100% close, with the great help of Captain Tarmack.Seeing the Xplane 747 I wonder how the rest is.. (not tried yet)But the FPS are good..hence no scenery.. so we can have the same in MSFS with all sliders to the left.Johan

Guest ScottPilot

I have been flight instructing for 14 years now. Back when I started, the flight sims available for the PC weren't that great for using as additional tools to training. That has changed today in my opinion. Computer technology for both the business and home user has increased greatly. (As we all know)I primarily use MSFS to supplement IFR procedures and concept training. For example, when teaching how to track as opposed to home an NDB station, I can set up a simulation in MSFS for the student to try before we ever get to the airplane.Also, I use MSFS to emphasize key concepts during the ground school portion of my student's training and have seen good improvement in their understanding how a particular flight maneuver or concept is done.However, I do not allow my students to log "Simulator" time with MSFS (That isn't legal anyway per the FAA) but I can use the sim as another tool available to both me and the student to improve their understanding of key flight maneuvers and concepts.The primary role of a flight instructor is to keep the student safe and provide the best learning environment possible to enhance learning and help develop safe, competent pilots. This means as CFI I should always be learning myself and looking for ways to improve the training environment. There are many excellent flight instructors in the USA today, but unfortunately there are a few CFI's around who are not open to change in their teaching methods.The FAA has approved many new CAT's (Computer Aided training devices) and I look at simulators, like MS Flight sim, as a possible computer tool to enhance the learning experience for my students.Yes, it is true that a student most likely will not be able to learn how to fly a real airplane using a simulator like MSFS, but I feel that Flight Simulators for the PC are an invaluable addition to any student pilots training program.For me, using PC based simulators have worked out well for my students. (98% pass rate on the first attempt is my students' average pass rate)Happy Simming!Scott Heinz - ATP/CFII (6000 HRS TT, 2800 as a Flight Instructor. I have both Corporate and Commuter Airline experience.)Currently finishing a degree in Computer Information Systems from the University of Colorado

>Guess you must love Fly! then? >Just out of true curiosity............... how about yourself? Just wondering, since you picked up the program.L.Adamson

I have not tried it yet but I've heard it is good.

triscam, on 23 May 2013 - 5:16 PM, said:

I have not tried it yet but I've heard it is good.

Because of your post, this topic is locked. Please start up a new topic and do not post to old topics.

Jim Young

AVSIM Forum Moderator

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10