Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Prince Edward Island

Hello all... So is their a permanent fix yet for PEI? Just bumping this up...Thanks

Hi all.I finally got caught up with my projects, and have started watermasking PEI.I've got the landfill done, and I've started the watermasking. One Cell done, with 14 to go. I decided to do it by hand, rather than using AutoASM, as the default shorelines are already in place, and must be matched. Not a hard process, but slow. First you fill the land, then you mask the water... start at the top and work to the right... just like a typewriter ( or an AVSIM post ). Same ordering for Areas within Cells.http://www.flatface.net/~rhumba/Pics/PEIfixcell1.JPGHopefully no major interruptions for a week or two. It will be just like the default scenery when done, and no BGLs need to be replaced.This is a fairly large LWM project, and I'll include the BGLC code with the eventual upoad to AVSIM's File Library.:)Dick

Guest Barney1

Dick,Is there any way that someone else can help you with this project? Or would it be too inconvenient to try and get another person to understand the intricasies of using your method? If you think another body could be helpful, I have some free time coming up and am willing to lend a hand.

Hi Barney.For now, I'm probably better off working it out alone. Down the road? The "fatigue" factor hasn't yet gotten to me. :) My current effort will simply restore PEI to what MS would have had, and as such will include the same "mistakes".I'd like to improve PEI. I've ben experimenting with Terrascene's abilities to transform ERSI Shapefiles into a psuedo-photoreal with amazing placement accuracy. Longterm, if we can come up with a method to convert shapefile data into LWM polys directly, we could have outstanding accuracy of the water for PEI. Jim Kanold, and Team Flight Ontario, created a Terrascene derived scenery for PEI, but the set of textures is limited to summer, and has photoreal limitations as well.The same data used to create LWM polys would be very compact in size, and would allow us to use VTP polys and lines for the shores, roads, etc... ( and it would have seasons, night... ). Such a project might need a team effort to accurately build shorelines and roads.Dick

Dick, the work you've done in the picture looks really nice and would love to have PEI back to normal. You mentioned that no BGL's to be replaced? I don't understand what you mean by this? Do we not replace the old bgl with yours when finished?I can't wait :-jumpyCheers

Hi FlytheSpitfire.Quit jumping.The work on PEI is soooo tedious, and not very fun, either. I have to force myself to do it.Yes, I can fix it... but I don't know when I'll get done.If we can get an updated version of AutoASM from Chris Wright, I could use that and TerraScene-derived masks to not only rebuild the land, but to improve it's lakes and coastal shape. That would also require a rework of the shorelines ( beaches and waves ), but at least there would be land.Eventually, the BGL will override the default, so nothing needs to be replaced or deleted.Dick

Thanks for the update Dick.Sorry for the jumpy, but that screen shot looked very nice....Cheers

Here's a pic of about 15 hours of work ( not much to show for it).Meanwhile, Jim Kanold has a summer-only terrascened version in the AVSIM Library, that is more accurate than the default I've been trying to patch.