Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Dreams of my own Sim, whats yours?

This is really just a fun question. I know I am forever saying this is wroung, that could be better ;-)yet I have no talents to do the work myself.Deep down I would love to create a sim to my own standards or rather dictate ;-)how it would be done.I would have an army of programmers and artists at my disposal and of course an unlimited budget at hand.If you could do the same what form would your sim take, how would it be different to whats available and what ground breaking features would you have.If you werent building a sim from the groundup but were in charge of FS2004 what form would that take, what would you insist was changed.Just interested and NO it will never happen :-(Peter

I to have the same sort of dreams :-lol My sim would include (as you may be able to tell more for commerical thype of flying, but also for GA):-1) realistic flying environment a) atmosphere modeled to great detail so that weather is dynamic and random as it is in real life. :( clouds that change shape over time along with the weather - as pressure changes type of cloud formation changes c) up/down drafts due to pressure leading to... d) acurrate windsheers/microbursts2) full range of systems, electrics, hydraulics, pneumatics etc so that failures can be simulated3) primary view would be through a highly accurate and detailed 3D virtual cockpit, with buttons, switches and gauges that can be interacted with. Also available would be a 2D view4) An option to have a virtual co-pilot5) I'm sure NASA have some gound global elevation and ground use data that could be used to make very relaistic terrain making VFR flying that little bit more accurate6) Good system for AI traffic, that is easily customisable from within the sim. Traffic that fly via airways etc rather than straight line7) Just thought of - dynamic lighting so that real-time shadows, so that at night when an aircraft on a stand with lighing, it is not black, but has light illuminating it.8) Great frames rates even on lower spec machinesor just give me a

Alaister Kay

How about scenery using real time online satellite imaging, so you could lean out of your window and wave to yourself as you fly over your own house!

The following was cut and pasted from a previous post I made in the old forum:-Although MS has made tremendous improvements in FS' sound system over the years (No other civilian sim has ever gotten close to beating MS in that department), The one thing they still haven't been able to recreate is the sound of distant aircraft.We all know how this sounds like. At an airport parking lot for example every few minutes we hear the thunderous roar of another airliner taking off, or the incessant singing of APUs permeating the air. Or if we live in a city with an airport the occasional cracking sputter of a single prop, the moaning drone and whirling hiss of a turboprop, the harsh whistling of a business jet, the howling of a distant airliner as it passes overhead, the reverbrant rattle of a helicopter as it lands on a building, the ground shaking earsplitting rumble of the sound barrier being broken by a jet fighter, etc. These sorts of sounds are unique in that their distance makes them exceedingly subject to the whims of the atmosphere and the ever-present doppler effect. They flutter and wow, flange and warble, always differing in pitch and tempo from one second to the next, never constant, incoherent and almost random, like the musings of an aging tape player. For really distant aircraft the stereo sound field becomes increasingly vague, as if the sound was trying to keep up with the aircraft, hopelessly following it from behind. This is nothing like the singular monophonic constance portrayed by MS, which you would only hear if you were close to the aircraft (That's probably why MS and LG chose to limit or rather not to increase the distance that sound travels in their sims. It just wouldn't sound right.) If they ever get that right I'll be really impressed...I'd like to add a few more to that one :-outta :-Direct Sound 3D support (at least) so rear-mounted engines actually sound as if they're mounted in the rear!-Ambient sounds reflecting the aircraft and scenery around us:Imagine just sitting at the ramp of an airport in the middle of nowehere in the C172, listening to birds chirping amidst the crackle of a Piper in the Pattern, the sound of wind kicking up fallen leaves and pushing itself through the leaves and branches of some nearby trees, the garbled and incomprehensible speech of some folks at the FBO, the noises of some livestock that have uncomfortably found themselves at the threshold of the runway (someone would have to make livestock models of course), etc. Think of the ambient reality that would create as you run through your startup checklist. It would be like you've actually experienced the sights AND sounds of that area.Or you could be in a larger aircraft such as a 747. Since the cockpit doors would probably be closed you wouldn't hear much from the passengers or even from the environment outside, but more from your own cockpit. As you flip those buttons and switches creating a corresponding *click*, *tick*, or *ka-chink*, the associated systems audibly power up. From the soft rearward whine of the APU, the brown noise of wind from the humming airconditioners, the faint windup of EFIS fans as you light up the glass cockpit, the tones beeps and buzzes of testing the Annunciator and related safety systems, the reverbrating bells of cabin announcements such as No Smoking and Fasten Seatbelts during T/O and Descent, to most importantly the calmy robotic male voice of the Ground Proximity Warning System which you'd hear counting down on final... Five-Hundred.... Two-Hundred... One-Hundred.. Fifty!. Forty!. Thirty!. Twenty!.. TEN!!! Then perhaps as you grease the aircraft after a long journey the muffled sound of congratulations coming from behind you. BTW I'd like to congratulate anyone who read through all those commas!!! *:-* /me needs to remove -verbose command line parameter-Leon Medado

Hi Peter,Ditto to one poster in this thread, a better modelling of the atmosphere and dynamic weather.We can already use add-ons to sims to go out to a NOAA (or similar) site to provide a realistic surface weather observation and the sim can model it, in a limited way. But- the entire area is is made to be just like that observation at the time. Imagine if we could combine an observation (like 1,600 BKN) with a real-time satellite image, to determine just where those broken clouds really are. The satellite image couldn't resolve 1,600 BKN, and the ground observation can't resolve outside the time and place of the observation- combining both would be cool!Good post (like all of your's) :)Bruce.

It also be cool if your langing in a city to have cars driving by on the roads and people walking by..if at high alltitudes it be cool!!it be graet if microsoft created their own add-on planes

My "desire" list would be long, but my "must have" list is short:1: truly random weather2: truly random failures (not setting "engine" for example, or being limited to 0 - 600 minutes and WHY on earth don't failure settings save with situations??)3: truly interactive ATC (can I PLEASE request an altitude change or declare an emergency!)michael

Guest Pabra

A MUST: EVERYTHING VR!! And ofcourse everything else to make it as real as it can be.

My dream would be to work on the game engine with the best possble programmers and work on it for w few years And try to find out the best ways to use less polygons but still look great and reserech on conpressing the files more just really dirffent testing to find out the best way to show some great eye candy and some realistic flight dynamics And i hope ms upgrades that sound system!!!!!!!! its somthing important in the sim to make it more real so stereo and even 5.1 sound would just ROCK!!! but i like all u guys ideas so i hope are dream comes true in the future

The main thing for me would be a living Sky, that would hold priority over the complete sim even above scenery.This sim would be able to add real world pressure systems, changing isobars and pressures, their own moving fronts with associated cloud types, moving air masses, cloud types that rise to correct levels, thunderstorms that not only look right but act right.........Infact all the detail that challenges the real world pilot into making decisions for the safe conduct of his flight and adds fear if he gets it wroung.Trying to capture the feeling of wishing you were up there rather than being up there wishing you were down here.I would want scenery (maybe on demand) which was far more detailed with towns railroads motorways even accurate areas of forestation, coastal types etc.I find the more accurate the existing scenery becomes the more you expect from it and in a daft way the more disappointed I am if it doesnt match up to what I expect.I was checking out some detailed elevation scenery when a cove I knew surounded by hills and a pretty village did not exist. I was very dissapointed almost to the point that I preferred scenery which didnt pretend to be something it wasnt :-)Maybe scenery should come from contour maps with all the detail of a road atlas.I would want interactive aircraft interiors where you could really move around in the back, open cocktail cabinets, operate music centres, maybe even have a pretty interactive stewardess ;-)In the cabin I would throw away the conventional 2D / VC panels. I am not going to explain why, as we may have just hit on something at RealAir Simulations and I don

For me atmosphere is everything, and that of course includes as realistic a feel in flight as possible. But it also means weather systems which are truly dynamic: Cloud shapes that grow and decay, frontal systems, wind and turbulence (currently rather badly done in most sims).When on or near the ground, airport environmnents which look absolutely authentic. When at mid altitude, scenery which doesn't look like bottle green knitting patterns, and at high altitude lighting and weather effects which are convincing.VC cockpits are definitely the way forward, but with higher resolution than is now possible, and of course all gauges and levers fully working.Dream on.....Rob Young

Hi Peter,apart from other things mentioned here nad i cant help but agreesome more.- MS openening up the air file to allow better FDEs (I know they wont do it currently)- allowing a more open modelling of flight dynamics for V/STOL, variable Wing Geometry, Supersonics, Hypersonics Outer Atmospherics (XPlane is a predecessor here)- Glider Towing or winch- dropping a la X15- multiple engine configurations (8 on a B52 12 on a Do-X)- allowing to run MSFS as host on a separate machine during multiplayer sessions- split processing on multi CPU machines- better panels- multiplayer in one Aircraft (Pilot-Copilot (Engineer and/or Radio Officer)- ground handling ( follow me cars, working gates, hangars ...)- instructor console allowing the instructor to participate and override the flightmaddyPilotBanner700.jpg[p]Feel free joining our Northern Polar Tour at [h3]Maddy's Tour Pages][/h3][/p

Guest Pabra

I'd like the sim to start in the ops room to check the enroute weather looking at fronts, buildup, depressures and stuff, then walk or drive tru the airport to the gate (maybe some traffic delay) and eventually boarding the plane maybe after a visual check, later on signing the fuel and pax load sheets and after startup and pushback getting the thumbs up for taxiing and joining the jam at holding point.....sweet dreams..but who knows..fs3k! Oh well, at least my offspring will fly as real as should be.

We've got 3D mountains, so why not 3D clouds?3D objects in the sky give you;1) Real cloud shapes with varying 'fluffyness'2) Thunderstorms that can be recreated with the correct shape3) moving clouds. ie. a storm frontI don't think this would be hard to do since the technolgy already exists in FS2002 to generate complex 3D models....these new cloud models just need to sit at 3000ft!!

How about:1:realstic sky colour, deep deep blue as you climb higher.2: As Leon said ,Better sound especially Surround soundwould create much better spacial cues. Improved Sounds for gear up/down, only wind noise heard at cruise speed in the jets,Tyre noise when landing centreline on the cats eyes( really would like that one).3:improved flight modeling, with a force feedback system to do it justice.4:roads with realistic moving vehicles.5:ATC with accents depending on the region of the world your inWho would sound like the real thing, not the stilted...way... they speak.. now :).Thats enough for now wrap it up i'll take it with me how much is that? :)cheersJohnOh and Demi Moore as copilot :-cool