Sign in to follow this  

GMAX HELP required for EGKK Tower (pic inc.)

I've started to make London Gatwick control tower. The tower itself will be fully detailed, with every dimention correct and with animated parts.I only started learning Gmax properly yesterday, and this is my third creation after a church i had built.I require help in the following fields:* How do you make all selected objects into one?* How do you create a see though texture -ie. looking through windows?* If i select lots of individual objects (ie. all selected) how do i change the width, height, length?I've tried using squash, and different scales, but it doesn't really sort out the issue. This is the main thing i'd like to know, as from the picture below the proportions are abit off.CheersWill

Will, I suppose you can learn gmax this way, but it will be painful, both for you and for the number of responders you'll hope for.These feel like your only questions, but trust me....they're not, and they speak to you not understanding the modifyer stack and the materials concept for GMAX.discreet has a good bb, go to discreet.com, and then to support/gmax/discussion forum...you'll learn gobs there. I'd work through the tutorials and read the posts on the bbs as a minimum, and a better deal, would be to get a book on 3dsmax...I found one for only $22 (us) that really helped me. doesn't mean you can't ask stuff here, but to ask each question that comes to mind when one learns gmax individually, that's a very tough go.The other thing that REALLY helped me learn is to dispense with the idea that I'd be creating a project to a stated goal of excellance, I had to relax and just create silly things, or simple things...to get comfy with the concepts of the modifyer stack mostly. Once it clicked, then it was simple to apply the notions to quite complex things.Best of luck,Bob Bernstein

>>>* How do you make all selected objects into one?* If i select lots of individual objects (ie. all selected) how do i change the width, height, length?<<>>* How do you create a see though texture -ie. looking through windows?<<

Well said Bob there is not much I could add really either except tokeep at it learn how to use the matreial editor, how the different stacks work etc. In other words use the software and you will picit up. One hint about basic transparency it's right on the materialeditor's menu look for it!! At least you don't have to learn the fullversion that's in 3DSmax(I like it better BTW)as I find the "dumbed" down version in gamx somewhat limited. As for scailing you can use"select and non uniform scale" on the main task bar. But like Bob said gmax is a complex pice of software it takes time to learn.Makeing the model is the simple part but from what I see you are doing just fine. Dan