Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peewee1

Newbie with FSDS

Guest Peewee1

Hi All,I am starting off real simple with FSDS. I have made a 256 x 256 8 bit texture with a graphic image layer and a text layer all merged down to a single texture image. When I right click and check the properties of it, they are the same as other 2K2 textures. I then made a simple billboard with two posts in FSDS and put my texture on the billboard and used another 3rd party texture for the posts.Problem. My texture always refuses to show in FS2k2 even after repeated attempts but the posts are always textured ok.Is there something else I should know about textures? I have the handbook that came with FSDS standard but no other info.All hints and tips appreciated.Thanks

Guest gorchi

Hello!Is this a polygon for a ground i.e. apron or for let say building? In the first case it could be problem with layering, the second hmm.Textures are of different kind, Martin Wright could explain this the best. Anyway, for FSDS V1.6 it is important, that they are square with 256 colors or 24 bit. Size could be small as 16x16 or large as 1024x1024 (I also use so large bitmaps).The texture must be in one of these formats to show in FS2002:8bit or 256 colors16 bit 555 - extended BMP, variable transparency16 bit 565 - extended BMP, variable transparency with alpha16 bit 444 - extended BMP, transparency on/offDXT1 - new format, sort of BMP with 16 bit colors and tranparency on/offDXT3 - new format, even better image, multiple levels of transparency or opacityPreferred format is DXT1. You can access to all these formats using ImageTool which is in one of subfolders of GMAX subfolder in FS2002 folder. Unfortunatelly FSDS can not display DXT1 bitmaps yet.Hope this helps!Regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest Frank Betts

when you name that texture make sure there are "No" gaps in the file name. And make sure it is "Flattened"

Guest luissa

>I am starting off real simple with FSDS. I have made a 256 x >256 8 bit texture with a graphic image layer and a text >layer all merged down to a single texture image. When I >right click and check the properties of it, they are the >same as other 2K2 textures. I then made a simple billboard >with two posts in FSDS and put my texture on the billboard >and used another 3rd party texture for the posts. >>Problem. My texture always refuses to show in FS2k2 even >after repeated attempts but the posts are always textured >ok. >>Is there something else I should know about textures? I have >the handbook that came with FSDS standard but no other info. >Hi,I assume that your texture is an image saved in the bitmap format. And that it has exactly 256 x 256 pixels. Please double check this. If your texture displays correctly inside FSDS, it should also display correctly inside the SIM. The only possibility that comes to my mind is your texture being stored in a folder that FS does not recognize. If so "add a scenery area" in the scenery library of the world menu.I hope you solve your problem,Luis

Guest Peewee1

Hi Goran,Thanks for the prompt reply. I simply made a box in FSDS. I have no idea what sort of polygon it is. The texture is square at 256 X 256 and is 8 bit with 256 colours. It shows on my billboard ok in FSDS and my billboard shows up in FS2K2 ok but minus my texture. I will check out some of the other tips and maybe go back to GMAX. I have done the tutorial for it and managed to produce the little house in FS and even position it at a location of my choice. However that was using an existing texture, not one that I had made myself.I will checkout your site later. Thanks again.

Guest Peewee1

Hi Frank.Thanks also for your reply. I may have a gap in my file name. I will check it in explorer. I have looked at this Forum first as I was keen to see if anyone had answered. What do you mean by " Flattened "? I am not familiar with that term.Cheers

Guest Peewee1

Hi Luis,Thankyou also for replying,I have stored my texture in the Texture Folder of FS. I am working through the tutorials in the FSDS handbook so my billboard shows up in the location at Meigs field that FSDS uses as a default position.I will advance on and try to position it at a location of my choice once I am able to get my texture to show on it.Cheers

Guest Frank Betts

I use paint shop pro. And right beside the "mode" button there is a "layer" button just click on that and scroll to the bottom. If it is hilighted click on it. Then go ahead and save the bitmap as usual.