Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 Layer Problem

Dear fellow designers,I managed to create a lake using LWM polys. However, in order to attach it to a default river I would have to draw OVER its bank/shoreline. I understand that you can do that by using FS2002 layers. But what is the code that must be put into my asm file? It begins with something like that:include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.incBGLHeader 89,-89,179,-179,LWMHeader,TerrainHeaderStartLWMHeader label wordLWMFileHeader 513,LWMIndexStart,LWMStart,LWMEndLWMStart label worddatamark_0 label wordLWMDataAreaDrawPolygons 1,3,1,9,10LWMPoly2 52,0,0,20,0LWMPoint 1,72LWMPoint 36,70LWMPoint 38,71LWMPoint 38,73LWMPoint 40,75...Thanks a lot for a hint on this issue. I am well experienced with section 9 scenery, mesh and photo terrain but this decaling stuff is a bit complex for my taste, Martin.

Hi there,I have to agree with your last statement!I am just starting also!From what I gathered so far, there is no layers for LWM. I think the only thing that you can count is that if your scenery has higher priority, then whatever you do should appear. I am not sure the implications of this but one thing is clear in the SDK and that is the order of things in the data stream. One possible way around is using Areafill and then start from scratch on that area. I have done something similar. With VTP based polygons you have layers and also you can replace (or not) existing polys within each area. Very usefull. Not possible with LWMs!Hope this helps!Cheersjmf

Hi jmf,thanks for your reply. Have you any advice on how to convert my LWM data to Areafill/VTP polys? Or is there a good front-end program available for Areafill/VTP?Ta, Martin.

Thanks a lot for your help. However, I must admit that I still have some difficulties in understanding this stuff. All I want to do is to create one short river section at the edge of the photo terrain and remove its misplaced MS equivalent (see the attached screenshot). In fact this is the only thing still left on my to do list for making my commercial Rhein-Ruhr photo scenery fully compatible with FS2002. As far as I understand it VTP seems the only way to go so does LWMPoint 36,70translate toVTPPointXY2 1152,2240Does VTP have a grid of 32*256=8192 units per LOD13 cell whereas LWM only features 256 units for the same area? So does 36 of 256 convert to 1152 of 8192 (36/256*8192=1152). If you can help me out or supply a fix for the river I would of course be happy to send you the scenery online (about 200MB) or on a CD. Check out the screenshots at http://flightsim.reiffer.com.Best wishes, Martin.

Hi jmf,I did it!!! VTP was indeed the way to go. I took the VTP coordinates from TDFCalc and adapted the default scenery to my needs. The BGLC code seems still mysterious to me but I was able to change the appropriate values. I attached a screenshot of the results.Martin.

Hi Martin,Glad to hear that you cracked it! Great!Now is the point that everything is starting! After I managed to do the first LWM & VTP, everything starts to take shape.The realy important info about rows cols etc is in page 3 of the sdk. Read that page over and over and do a drawing of that if you need to. To follow MS terminology a LOD8 quadrant is a cell and a LOD 13 quadrant is an area. The FS world if formed by a grid of 512 x 768 cells. Each cell is formed by a grid of 32 x 32 areas. Each area is formed by a grid of 256 x 256 points. Each point represents aproximately (in the equator) a 4.75 meter square.When you define a LWM, first you need to select the cell and then the area. The points are then defined within a grid of 256 x 256. In VTP Method 2 you just select the cell, not the area. The points are defined within a grid of 32*255 x 32*255 (?) or 8160 x 8160 (chech page 21 for other details on this). So if you are drawing VTP polys on the NW corner of the active cell, the points are within (x,y)=(0-255,0-255). But if you cross to the next area on the right, then the coordinates are now (x,y)=(256-512,0-255) etc ...So to convert a LWM on this last area I exemplfied above, you can use the same coordinates but you need add 255 to the x coordinate to create a vtp using the same coordinates you used for the LWM.Ha, I almost forgot! The scenery looks great!Cheersjmf

Hi jmf,it is indeed highly satisfactory to see the first VTP results. Fortunately I found a list with many texture ids on the internet, which decisively shortened the testing procedure. As your tips were higly appreciated I would be happy to send you a free copy of my scenery add-on. If you are interested just let me know (flightsim@reiffer.com) and I will make the necessary files available either via DSL or on CD.Best wishes, Martin.