Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

Reduing autogen tree size ?

Is there a way to make the autogen trees smaller, maybe by creating a new set of texture files for them ? I've always felt the trees are way too big, but after seeing Scott Bolster's comparison video (Real Life vs. FS2002 Movie) as posted on flightsim.com, I am convinced they should be at least 50% smaller.Any suggestions / opinions on this ?thks, Dr.J.

Have you downloaded Gerrish Gray's trees library? It includes replacement texture sheets for the autogen trees. AFAIK, it doesn't significantly reduce the tree size, but you certainly could if you made your own tree set. It might be a good place to start looking, as he's got very thorough documentation on the autogen tree objects.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

When making your own autogen you can certainly control the size of the trees -- but finding the appropriate texture tiles and their accompanying autogen file would be almost impossible. Of course, you could make your own tiles to surround your favourtie airports.By the way, didn't the cars in the video seem BIG and distracting? Thank goodness we don't have them in FS!

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysIn fact, the default Autogen trees in FS2002 are mostly quite realistically sized. Typical trees in the landscape vary from 10m to 15m tall, with some specimens of larger mature trees growing to 30m. If you check, you'll find that the default Autogen stuff matches this profile fairly well. The real problem with Autogen comes with larger trees, such as found in tropical rainforests and in conifer forests in some regions, where the trees typically grow to 45-60m, with individual specimens approaching 100m. Autogen does not model these by default - the maximum size is capped to avoid frame rate problems.If you want to alter the size of the trees to suit your tastes, you could indeed make your own texture set with images that only fill, say, half of each cell on the sheet, but please don't upload such a texture set to the internet because you would be making the trees all over the world out of scale and destroying the realism of the default scenery (such as it is).It is possible to alter the sizes of the trees on a localised basis using a combination of landclass scenery and modified .agn pattern files made using the Autogen Annotator tool. Installation of the modified files in FS2002 is a bit complicated, but I'll be happy to give you instructions if you wish.For local trees on an airfield, say, you are probably better off using my Trees Library, which you can download from the file library here under the archive name trees_v3.zip. You can place these trees precisely where you want them with complete control over their size.Kind RegardsGerrish