Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

Adding Jetways

I like to fly out of KBOS alot it would provide a better effect if there were jetways. I have downloaded some GMAX jetway macros and I would like to add them to the default scenery on my system. Can anyone suggest an easy way. I was thinking I would need to determine the coordinates then use airport to place them one by one but I am hoping there is an easier way.Any help would be great. Thanks,Mark

I didn't look at the default airport but you could use the top down view, slew to were you want to place a gate, and write down the LAT/LON and heading you want the gate. Get a scenery program like Airport for Windows or FSSC, start a new project around the airport lat/long (Open the airport with the AFCAD program and get the reference point LAT/LON).Once your project is center on the same reference point, then move to the lat/lon and place the GMAX API. Compile the one gate, make sure the program wrote the *.bgl to your scenery folder. You might have to make a texture folder and place the textures in it also.I only do one gate first to see if I was close!

Would those jetways be by a "Shehryar Ansari" BTW?If so then he has included some basic instructions in the readme.txt file included in the download.The jetway api's are designed to be used with the program Airport 2.60 Build 156 available at www.airportforwindows.com. The basic tutorial in the program is pretty good to get you started.RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez,I practiced placing one of your gates at an airport. The gates are very crisp and detailed.One of the confusing things was the direction of the gates. I had it 180deg out at first. The other item of note to designers is to remind them the small dot is to be used to place the gate on the wall.The only negative I had with the gate is it not high enough to hide the building hole (doorway) leading to the jetway.

Yeah you will need to get used to the placement of the gates. The direction is easily amended in the Airport dialog box. The small dot is a good observation but after placing the gates a few times one would pick that up I guess.Not sure about your last point. Which building hole are you referring to? in the default buildings there are no building holes as far as I can see. Let me know.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Try setting the macro scale to 0.17 for the medium/B737, A320 aircraft type inside Airport. This will raise and increase the overall size. I would not go any larger for narrow body a/c. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

Guest Captain Barfbag

I did some KBOS scenery with Jetways. I'm new to scenery design so I'm not sure the files are ready-for-prime-time, but if you'd like to test them for me let me know at BruceGL@aol.com. It's got a 5-overlay set of AFCADs to match the parking spots to the jetways and send cargo over to the north and south terminals. I'll have to dust it off and see if the single-overlay AFCAD is still OK too.I went to Mapquest.com and pulled up the satellite photos of Logan airport for comparison. That's a reasonable way to see which buildings are used for air traffic.

Shez,Not using default buildings! Just an observation on my part and not a negative on your gates to be sure!

Guest Claviateur

There is one thing to be aware of though. Using the traditional Macro placing with scenery design programs can give a bad frame rate in FS2002. FS2002 does not digest the macros very well if placed like we used to place them for FS98 or FS2000. I think an object library placement method is better for frame rate in FS2002 as far as I heard. Hopefully someone who knows this menthod can help you :)CheersMichel

Hi Michel,Actually the jetways in my project are based on a library of jetways and the api is a simple one generated by FSRegen.CheersShez

Shez Ansari