Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

just recieved new hard drive... (few q's)

I just got a new 80 gig hard drive which I plan to install and back my FS2002 files to. I also want to install a double boot system, leave XP on my current drive and install 98 on the new drive. Will this work or does 98 have to be on the primary drive? ie. "C" drive? Also are there any pitfalls to a dual boot system I should be aware of?? Thanks for your help..ps the reason for the dual boot is to program my CH Products Joystick

You may want to use a product called Partition Magic and utilize your new 80 gig drive with two partitions then you could boot to either one and use your second drive as a back up. I try to stay with drives that are 40-60 gigs easier to manage. RegardsTony

Guest Max Cowgill

dang Tony, you beat me to it! ;) I was just going to recommend Partition Magic... As far as running a dual-boot system from multiple HDs goes, it's been a looooooong time since I've run a dual-boot (Win95/NT 5 years ago) and that was only on one HD so I don't have any practical experience with installing two different OSes on two different HDs for the purpose of a dual-boot system, but if setup correctly I'm sure it's feasible. Personally, I'd recommend partitioning the one HD and using the other HD as a backup (as Tony did). I think you'll find this to be a more effective solution than placing one OS on each HD.Max Cowgill

If you are intent on a dual boot system visit http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/reviews/winxp/ for a good tutorial on the subject. Whether you use the separate swap file partition or not is up to you.I also recommend the largest size of your partition not exceed approx. 11GB. The larger the partition, the larger the cluster sizes which wastes space.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will attempt the install this weekend and report the results on Monday.

Guest Ron Freimuth

>I just got a new 80 gig hard drive which I plan to install >and back my FS2002 files to. I also want to install a >double boot system, leave XP on my current drive and install >98 on the new drive. Will this work or does 98 have to be on >the primary drive? ie. "C" drive? No. Win98 can be on any bootable partition. I have it on D:. And, Win2000 also shows on D:, but the Win98 partition then shows as E:.> Also are there any >pitfalls to a dual boot system I should be aware of?? Thanks >for your help.. I think you are given the option as to which partition to install Win98 on during install. Of course, you need to have more than C: available. For that matter, Win2000 can be installed more than once on the same partition. I'm not sure about Win98. W2K just uses a different system folder than 'WINNT' for another install. Ron