Sign in to follow this  
Daviddv

Adding a red light to a chimney - visibility problem

I have used Easy Object Designer/Airport for Windows to add a flashing red warning light to a chimney, but have a problem. I can see the light, but as I get closer it disappears when I am still quite some way away.I have looked at the .api and .sca files produced, but am not too much of an expert on these.Can anyone suggest why this should be happening??ThanksDavid

Hard to tell a solution for this. Only the light dissapears and not the entire object?Can you maybe post the code (or the piece of the light)? Then we will find it I guess.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

ArnoThanks for your reply - this is the api code the EOD produces -see below:I then read this in to Airport for Windows to get the Lat/Long sorted out.I am very much a beginner in all this - my 'chimney' is not much more than a cylinder that I created in GMAX. I imagine one could add a light using that, but everything to do with GMAX seems incredibly complicated.Anyway, thanks for any help you might be able to give.David;macrodesc Fawl_Lt1 (EOD);defaultscale 1;textures ;designshape -1,-1,-1,0,0,0,0,-1;--------------------------------------------; Filename: Fawl_Lt1.api; Project: ; Designer: ; Date: 02-11-02; Update: 02-11-04; Credits: ; Macro generated using EOD 2.0.59; Any commercial distribution or use of this file is prohibited;--------------------------------------------; %1 = Latitude; %2 = Longtitude; %4 = Not used [RefpointScale=1, ObjectScale=0.25]; %5 = Rotation; %6 = Not Used; %7 = Not Used; %8 = Not Used; %9 = Not Used; %10 = Visibility range; %11 = Altitude; %12 = Detail level; 2 = Radial visibility range (*2); %15 = User definedArea( B %1 %2 22 ) mif( %12 ) IfVarRange( : 0346 %12 5 ) mifend PerspectiveCall( :Pos ) ShadowCall( :Pos ) Jump( : ) :Pos mif( %11 ) RefPoint( 3 :End %1 %2 E= %11 V1= %10 V2= 2 ) melse RefPoint( 7 :End 1 %1 %2 V1= %10 V2= 2 ) mifend SetScaleX( :End 0 0 14 ) ; Scale=0.25 mif( %5 ) RotatedCall( :Begin 0 0 %5 ) melse Call( :Begin ) mifend :End Return :Begin Call( :Lamps )Return:Lamps;Lamp: Object 1 IfVarAnd( :EndofLamp0 28c 6 )IfVarAnd( :EndofLamp0 282 F0F0 ) RGBLcolor( BF 255 0 0 ) Dot( 0 720 0 ):EndofLamp0 ReturnEndA

I would try to increase the value of the v2 parameter in the RefPoint command, it now says v2 = 2, try a higher value. At the moment that is the only thing I can see in the code that can be the problem.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Hi,where did YOu put this light? Exactly on the top of chimney or in the middle of top polygon? Maybe You could solve the problem if You put the light a little bit above. I see from API that light is at the height of 720 points. If chimney is also 720 pixels tall, then use 722 pixels for light.And Maybe try using two lights very close together. They will make a stronger light from a distance but very close they will appear as two.Hope it helps. Regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Arne/GoranThanks for your suggestions, I will follow them up.A bit more info:The light is about ten metres from the top of the chimney, and because I haven't got the positioning quite right yet, it stands away from the chimney. I intended that when I got this working, I would add two more lights so that they formed a 120 deg pattern when viewed from above. It was when I got to look at the first light that I noticed that as I got closer (slewing) it suddenly disappeared.Again thanks for the replies.David