Sign in to follow this  

Taxiways/lines - What works for you!?!

Hello all! I am new to scenery design. I have been messing around with AFW 2.6 B157 for the past few days. Right now what is getting to me is the whole taxiway/taxiline thing. I think that i have searched the internet 3 times over looking for information to make my stuff work. This is what I am running into.1.) If i use the 'create taxiway' function and tell it to make a centerline and also do night lighting what i find is that the centerline is very thin and faint....excecially over longer distances. I have tried to segment the taxiway into smaller segments and that helped out somewhat but i was still not happy with the results. and if you segment it too much it starts messing with your blue side lights at night.2.) I saw someone had the suggestion of using a 3' road colored 09 (yellow) and insert the lines manually. I thought that would be nice..that way i have more control over my lines. Then what i run into is that at night the green centerline lights are there but in the day nothing....and then i started playing with the layers and i would be able to see the line but it was white and there was nothing that i could do to get it to be yellow.3.) What is going on with making the arcs for joining centerlines at intersections. I am thinking that would be easy if i used the 3' road approach but then again i cant get the line to become yellow. I thought that I saw somewhere that there was functionality being built into the taxiway function to make this easier.4.) I think that this is the last one for now. Is there a way that someone can explain to me on how to make you taxilines yellow with the black outline. I know that at a lot of airports this is how it is painted and with the project that i eventually want to do i will want to figure out how to do this. I have seen it in screenshots of others but have no idea as to how they did it.Hopefully I didnt put anyone to sleep on this one :-waveThere is a lot of cool stuff out here that you can do that i never realized before and it makes the hobby of flight simming just that more entertaining. And also want to say thank you to the developers of AFW as you are doing a great job and service to the FS community by making a tool like this available and keeping it at a price that no one can refuse!!!! :-jumpy :-jumpyKeep Flyin'Dan

Instead of using the Create Taxiway, have you tried making a polygon, texturing it as you wish, and making the taxiway. After you have made the taxiway, then use the Create Lines and Lines of Objects tool to draw your taxiway lines. It is a detailed process but you may get better taxiway lines/lights than using the default Create Taxiway. I used an arcset of 45m to do a 90deg turn.Try experimenting with a short length of taxiway made from a polygon.

I made the decision to write a scasm file from scratch for my taxiway lines. I do use the gui interface programs, but the number of problems people have had with the way the gui's wrote the lines (especially 6 months ago) motivated me to learn the code. You don't really need to know any code, but you do have to take responsibility for the coordinates of points on the lines...that's the bad news. The good news is you have complete control over how the lines intersect.If you would like to see an example of the scasm code...let me know. Otherwise, good luck with the gui!Bob B